Life is too short to read a bad book.
Tuesday, December 04, 2007,1:42 PM
Promises Keep by Sarah McCarty
Just Finished:


Synopsis: Wyoming Territory 1869:

Being kidnapped into a bordello has a way of changing a woman’s focus. On the day Mara Kincaid escapes the Pleasure Emporium, she vows to start living for herself. Rebuilding her life isn’t easy as the town isn’t fond of reformed fallen doves, but she’s a Kincaid and Kincaids are known for their stubbornness. She’s successful right up until the notorious ex-marshal Cougar McKinnley comes into town.

As big as a mountain, dark as sin, and wearing a reputation as deadly as the knife strapped to his thigh, McKinnley is a man who knows what he wants. By rights, she should be shaking in her shoes when he approaches her, but when the powerful half-breed turns his dark gold eyes on her, it isn’t fear that has Mara trembling, but rather an overwhelming desire to be the kind of woman Cougar needs to satisfy his deepest desires.

My Thoughts: Anyone who read my thoughts on Promises Linger knows that I had a bit of a crush on Cougar. So, I really looked forward to his story. Mara, however, it took me a little longer to warm up to. I'm not sure if it's because I wasn't crazy about the way Cougar and Mara met, or what, but it took me awhile. And I'm not really sure when it changed, but by the end of the story I liked her and I enjoyed her and Cougar together.

What I Liked: I have to say, I really love the side characters that Sarah McCarty creates. I got to see Millicent again (yay!) and got to know Doc, Dorothy, and Rev. They are great characters! Then there's Clint ~ he makes me smile. I'm looking forward to his story next. Oh, and I'll be one of the first in line to buy Rev's story when it comes out next year.

What I Didn’t Like: Other than how Mara and Cougar met ~ I didn't like the punishments ~ that left an ick factor for me. That's not my thing. I found myself skimming those parts. Other than that, not a thing. Sarah's an awesome writer!

Verdict: I'd say this was Good. I liked Promises Linger better, but am looking forward to reading Promises Prevail next.

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger Rosie

    First of all that sigh you may have just heard was me. Boy am I jealous of you having all your Christmas shopping and wrapping done. I'm close to being done with shopping but have several things to wrap and two packages to ship.

    Second, I'm so excited about your Sarah McCarty experience. My fave is your next book. I'm looking forward to seeing your reaction.

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Dev

    Rosie ~ I'm 50 pages into Promises Prevail so far and it's easily my favorite. I really love Jenna and Clint. I think I may have that story finished up fast ~ I can't seem to stop thinking about it.

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Blogger lisabea

    I'm so far behind, it's sad. But I'm 3/4 through with Promises Linger!

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Wow, so many good things are being said about Sarah McCarty...I'm so lagging behind on these new to me authors, there's really too many books and not enough time!

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Chantal

    You know I LOVED Promises Linger. I'll be reading this one as soon as I am done with my current read.

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger Dev

    Lisabea ~ I'm almost done with Promises Prevail. You're in for a real treat when you get to this one.

    Wena ~ The Promises Series is definitely worth the time to read. I really love them ~ I'm looking forward to The Rev's story next October.

    Chantal ~ I liked Promises Linger better than Promises Keep ~ but they're all good. I'm so glad I got a chance to read these.