Life is too short to read a bad book.
Thursday, November 22, 2007,7:21 PM
The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
Just Finished:



Why I Read It: Because I’d seen reviews for it all over blogland so I bought the series.

Synopsis: THERE COMES A TIME IN A LADY'S LIFE...

Widowed Anna Wren is having a wretched day. After an arrogant male on horseback nearly squashes her, she arrives home to learn that she is in dire financial straits. What is a gently bred lady to do?

WHEN SHE MUST DO THE UNTHINKABLE...
The Earl of Swartingham is in a quandary. Having frightened off two secretaries, Edward de Raaf needs someone who can withstand his bad temper and boorish behavior. Dammit! How hard can it be to find a decent secretary?

AND FIND EMPLOYMENT.
When Anna becomes the earl’s secretary, both their problems are solved. Then she discovers he plans to visit the most notorious brothel in London for his “manly” needs. Well! Anna sees red—and decides to assuage her “womanly” desires . . . with the earl as her unknowing lover.


My Thoughts: From their first memorable meeting, I enjoyed Edward and Anna’s story. They had an instant chemistry that I found appealing and I found myself drawn to both characters.

Edward was scarred, both internally and externally. He had smallpox as a child which left their mark on his body, but the disease also took his whole family from him. He also lost a wife and child during childbirth, so he has some serious wounds.

Anna’s first marriage was not a good one. Her husband cheated on her and since they had a child, Anna believed she was barren and therefore not good marriage material.

What I Liked: The chemistry between Edward and Anna was awesome. I enjoyed watching these two scarred individuals form a friendship and try to fight their growing attraction.

I enjoyed the familial relationship Anna had with mother-in-law. It was a mutual affection between the two ladies and was a great addition to the story. I also enjoyed the friendship between Anna and the Smythe sisters, Pearl and Coral. Anna was not judgmental of the life choices the other two women had made and I appreciated the relationship. They all seemed to fill a need the other had during a certain time in their lives.

What I Didn’t Like: I’m not sure how the daughter of a vicar would decide to go to a brothel to have sex with a man she didn’t intend to marry. I’m not sure that I didn’t like that ~ I’m just not sure that I buy it.

I also didn’t like the whole “running away to protect the man I love because I’m being blackmailed and I don’t want to tarnish his good name” scenario. I just kept thinking to myself “Why doesn’t she just tell Edward ~ he’ll take care of it. It’s not that big of a deal.” Luckily it didn’t last long and so I got over it rather quickly.

Verdict: This was Very Good. It was my first Elizabeth Hoyt and I’m anxious to read the rest of the Prince series. This is definitely going on my keeper shelf and is definitely one of my favorite reads of the year. I highly recommend it.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


19 Comments:


  • At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Stopping by all my favorite blogs to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

    J. Kaye

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Jenster

    I haven't read anything by EH, either. But I've heard so much about this book - so much GOOD stuff about this book I may have to change that.

    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger lisabea

    Actually, this is my favorite of the three. I agree completely that the chemistry between these two is awesome. Edward's such a complete ass, and, of course, I loved him.

     
  • At 4:58 AM, Blogger Stacy~

    I recently bought all 3 from Amazon, and I have no idea when I'm going to read them....

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger Dev

    J. Kaye ~ Thanks for stopping by :-)

    Jen ~ It was good! I hope you do change your mind ~ I really enjoyed it.

    Lisabea ~ I loved Edward, too. I'm looking forward to reading the other books soon.

    Stacy ~ I'm like you. I have to be in the mood to read something in order to enjoy it.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Rowena

    I haven't read anything by EH either and with all the reviews up about this particular series I'm so going to add this to my TBR list...I need to read these pronto!

    Great review, I hope you had a great thanksgiving yesterday...=)

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger Dev

    Wena ~ That's how I ended up getting it. I saw so many things posted about this series, I just had to go get it.

     
  • At 7:17 PM, Blogger Rosie

    Dev, so glad you are on the bandwagon. I think the books got better as they went along.

    I'm hoping this next week I get more reading in. Real life sure has been hectic lately. I think it's just the season though.

    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Did you get to smooch the new baby? Who cooked?

     
  • At 7:38 PM, Blogger Dev

    Rosie ~ Thanksgiving was at my sister's house and yes, I got to smooch the baby. Lots! My sister did most of the cooking ~ I made the Frog Eye Salad and she did everything else. And her husband did the dishes.

     
  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    Wasn't it great!?! I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them. 'tis a wonderful thing finding a new author isn't it?

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger Dev

    Kristie ~ Yes it was! If the other two books are as good as this one, Elizabeth Hoyt will become an autobuy for me.

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger ReneeW

    Yes! I knew you'd like it. You pin pointed the one scene - brothel scene - that felt kind of wrong to me too. But I went with the flow because it was so intriguing and sexy. Loved it anyway, even though I knew it was totally implausible. Definitely a keeper. Great review!

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Dev

    Renee ~ I definitely liked it. The whole brothel thing just never really made sense to me, but I went with it, just like you. I'm glad I did ~ It was an awesome book!

     
  • At 4:06 AM, Blogger CindyS

    I'm with you and Renee on the brothel part but I powered through ;)

    I didn't bother with the second title but went out and got the third after hearing it was dark. I do like dark!

    CindyS

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Dev

    Cindy ~ You like dark? I never would have guessed! (ha ha)

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Paula

    Good review~ I just may have to pick this one up. There was a time when I LOVED the historical romances, so this one would fit in quite nicely.
    Thanks for visiting my site!

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Dev

    Paula ~ You're welcome! If you pick this one up, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It's a great book!

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Carolyn Crane

    Thanks for the review--this looks fun. I was thinking about starting with the Serpent Prince, but I think I might go for this one!

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger Dev

    Carolyn Jean ~ I've heard they're all good. I'm just one of those who HAS to read books in order.