Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, November 18, 2007,9:51 PM
If I have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? by Melissa Kantor
Just Finished:



Why I Read It: Because I saw the cover while browsing at a bookstore and the summary intrigued me. And, well, it's kind of fun for me to read the same books as kiddo ~ and though she may not admit it, I think she likes it that we read the same things.

Synopsis: When high school sophomore Lucy Norton’s father remarries, Lucy’s moved across the country and her life is turned upside down. With a bedroom in the unfinished basement, a blank social calendar, and a crush on the dashing prince of the varsity basketball team, Lucy’s life has the makings of a Cinderella story--complete with two bratty stepsisters and a wicked stepmother. So isn’t she supposed to get the prince? And go to the senior prom?

My Thoughts: Well, I’ve been on a bit of a YA kick lately. Not sure why ~ I’ve never really been inclined to read YA books. But this one intrigued me while I was browsing through the aisles ~ enough so that I made a beeline to the library to snag it.

The story centers around 16-year-old Lucy Norton, who has recently moved from San Francisco to New York state because her father has remarried. Her stepmother, Mara, doesn’t seem to want her around. She keeps promising Lucy that she wants to decorate her bedroom, but in the meantime Lucy’s been sleeping in an undecorated basement with no furniture and nothing but an air mattress to sleep on. And Mara always seems to have an excuse as to why Lucy’s room never gets furnishings. Then there’s Mara’s twin daughters who would try the patience of Job. And the father that Lucy was so close to is now no longer around, except for when he travels home on weekends. So, is it any wonder why Lucy would compare herself with Cinderella?

Enter “Prince Charming” ~ star basketball player Connor Pearson, who immediately takes a liking to Lucy and before you know it, the two are dating. Suddenly, Lucy is suddenly thrust into one of the most sought after girls in school.

Then there’s Sam Wolff, a mysterious, introverted boy from Lucy’s art class. The two become friends and Lucy finds herself questioning her definition of “Prince Charming”.

I’d say the story was Good. It was predictable, but was a great way to spend a few hours. And now that I’ve read it, I can end my obsession with it and move on to the next read.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 5:32 AM, Blogger nath

    Hey Dev :D yay, it's the winter layout! :D this sounds like a cutie book :) Would you recommend it to me?

     
  • At 4:57 AM, Blogger Stacy~

    It does sound cute. If I didn't have a gazillion books I already want to read in the tbr, I'd seriously consider picking this one up.

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ It's cute and was a light, easy read. There were a few things that were over the top, but it was a YA book, so I wasn't overly critical with it.

    Stacy ~ Tell me about it. At last count, I was at 447 books in Mt. TBR. I don't think I'll ever get the time to read all of them.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Rowena

    I love Young Adult books and it's great to read these from time to time because then you can get your nieces to read the books and your sister won't get mad at you for it either, haha.

    This sounds like a great book, light and easy that's what I'm digging right now and like Stacy, if I didnt' have twenty gazillion books to read, I'd so pick this up right now but it's going on the list...thanks sweets!

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Dev

    Wena ~ It's been fun to read the same books as kiddo and then talking about them. Kiddo's not so much interested in this one, but the next one maybe :-)