Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, November 04, 2007,9:09 AM
Dan in Real Life
Kiddo and I went to see "Dan in Real Life" last night. I'm not really all that familiar with Steve Carell ~ I don't watch The Office, I've never seen 40-year-old Virgin, and I wasn't impressed with "Little Miss Sunshine" ~ so I didn't go with a lot of expectations. It looked cute, and kiddo wanted to see it because of the whole student driver factor.

I wouldn't really call this a comedy. Yes, there was some cute laugh-out-loud moments ~~ there usually always are when family is involved. Imagine this poor widowed father raising 3 daughters (2 teens and 1 pre-teen). I mean, the poor guy is just asking for trouble.

But, I would call this movie more of a sweet kind of film. The scenes where he first meets Marie at the bookstore are very cute and it's evident from their first meeting that they're meant to be. Marie is the first woman he's noticed since his wife passed away 4 years ago. But, there's a conflict. See, she's actually there to meet her boyfriend's family. Her boyfriend happens to be Dan's brother. So bring on the angst.

I'd say see it ~ it was Good. I may have liked it better if I'd seen it with someone other than kiddo. I spent the whole time worried that maybe she wouldn't like it. But she did ~ she wants to buy it when it comes out on DVD, even if they did cut the cute student driver scenes out of the movie ~~ even though they're in the trailer (PS ~ that really bugs me).

Labels:

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 4:41 AM, Blogger CindyS

    Okay, I'll ask for a spoiler - does Dan get the girl in the end? I'm not sure I find Steve Carell appealing enough to play the lead in a romantic comedy.

    I'm with you on having scenes in trailers that never make it into the movie. I just don't get it!

    CindyS

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger Dev

    Cindy ~ Of course he does!