Life is too short to read a bad book.
Saturday, October 27, 2007,1:32 PM
Caine's Reckoning
Just Finished:



Why I Read It: Because I won an ARC from Sarah

From the Back Cover: Caine Allen is a hardened Texas Ranger, definitely not the marrying kind. But when he rescues a kidnapped woman and returns her to town, the preacher calls in a favor. One Caine's honor won't let him refuse.

From the moment he beds Desi, Caine knows turmoil will follow. Desi might have the face of a temptress, but she also has a will of iron and while she needs his protection, she's determined that no man will control her again. They establish an uneasy bond, but it still isn't enough for Caine. He wants all Desi has to offer. He wants her screams, her moans, her demands…everything. Yet there's still a bounty on Desi's head and keeping her satisfied is proving easier than keeping her alive.


My Thoughts: This was my first Sarah McCarty book. And wow, what a treat. Desi is compelling, strong, tenacious, and willful. I absolutely loved her as a heroine, and to imagine the things that she had to endure before ever meeting Caine and the Hell’s Eight is just so heartbreaking.

I have so many thoughts about this book. I laughed so much ~ whether it was they way Desi and Caine first met, Desi’s adventures with the rooster, or the outhouse scene, I cracked up. I also cried ~ both from anger and from sadness. Desi’s past affected me more than Caine’s, but they both came from tough backgrounds ~ but Desi’s abuse got to me more. The fact that she went through what she did and still remained so strong was so wondrous to me.

It wasn’t all wonderful for me. I understand the concept of Erotic Romance, but I’m also one who likes sex as part of the story ~ I don’t want it to be the whole story. Know what I mean? So when I got to page 38 and the whole foreplay stuff started already, I had misgivings. Luckily, it didn’t amount to anything more than a bluff, so I continued on. And I’m so glad I did. Watching Caine and Desi’s relationship evolve from one of a marriage of convenience to a real marriage was magical for me.

I enjoyed the members of Hell’s Eight, also. I really liked Sam and Tracker and am looking forward to Sam’s book which comes out next year. I want to know more about all of them though, how they came together to form the “family” that they did. I hope that more clues are given throughout the series. Caine’s Reckoning gave me just enough of the background that I want more.

I’d say this is a Very Good read. For those of you who love Sarah, I doubt you'll be disappointed with this one. I'll definitely have to read a few more of her books ~ if her others are as good as this one, she may become an auto-buy for me.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


15 Comments:


  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Rosie

    If you liked this you will swoon over that PROMISE series. Wish we were closer, I'd lend you mine.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Dev

    Rosie ~ I wish so, too! I have the Promises on my wishlist. I may end having to get it soon. I want to try and tackle some of my current TBR first.

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger ~ Mad ~

    You MUST get your hands on the PROMISES series...they were soooo good!

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Dev

    Mad ~ I'm sure I'll be getting them someday. I'm weak that way. I have no control when it comes to getting books. None at all.

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger sula

    oh man, oh man...I realllly want this book. I wonder if it is even worth physically going to Borders and checking even though their website says my store doesn't have it in stock.

    Oh and yeah, you really do have to read the Promises books. hot-hot! What I love about Sarah McCarty is that she manages to write uber-sexy erotic stuff but in a very lush romantic way. I like my romances erotic and my erotica romantic. So she really works for me. *g*

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Dev

    Sula ~ I wasn't disappointed. I've been wanting to read Sarah McCarty for awhile. I'm so glad her stories are character/plot driven!

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Stacy~

    I am also a fan of Sarah's Promise series, and this one sounds like another good one. I'm glad you liked it :)

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger Lori

    Dev, email me about the promises series... mctclover @ gmail.com

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger Dev

    Stacy ~ I bet you're going to really like this one.

    Lori ~ I emailed you :-)

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Rowena

    Everyone seems to be reading this, I'm gonna need to do this soon!

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Dev

    Wena ~ It's worth it.

     
  • At 12:24 AM, Blogger Rowena

    Is it now? Alrighty, I'll get on it!

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Dev

    Wena ~ I'll be looking for your review :-)

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Chantal

    Right on. I just ordered this today.
    I have read one other book by this author....Promises Linger. I like it a lot and I had the second and third book, but they were erased off my computer before I had a chance to put them on my ebookwise. *sob* I'm bitter. I can't even talk about it.

    Can't wait for Caine's Reckoning to show up though!

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Dev

    Chantal ~ That stinks. I just got the Promises series and hopefully will get them read before the end of the month. Everybody seems to love them.