Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, November 25, 2007,3:46 PM
Mackenzie's Mountain by Linda Howard
Just Finished:


Synopsis: A small Wyoming town is about to learn a few lessons — from a new schoolteacher with the courage to win the heart of a man who swore he had nothing to give....

Mary Elizabeth Potter is a self-appointed spinster with no illusions about love. But she is a good teacher — and she wants Wolf Mackenzie’s son back in school. And after one heated confrontation with the boy’s father, she knows father and son have changed her life forever.

Still paying for a crime he didn’t commit, Wolf Mackenzie has a chip on his shoulder the size of Wyoming. But prim-and-proper Mary Elizabeth Potter doesn’t see Wolf as the dangerous half-breed the town has branded him. Somehow she sees him as a good, decent, honest man. A man who could love...

Wolf’s not sure he — or the town of Ruth, Wyoming — is ready for the taming of Wolf Mackenzie.

My Thoughts: Holy Hannah! This was a good book! I did not want it to end. The chemistry between Wolf and Mary was immediate and kept me riveted throughout the whole story. Wolf has moved right up there with some of my favorite heroes of all-time, and for good reason. He is hot! I loved his immediate reaction to Mary, and hers to Wolf.

I also really enjoyed Wolf's son, Joe and his relationship with his Dad, and also with Mary. He is strong character all by himself and I'm looking forward to reading his story down the road. The protectiveness he and Wolf had over Mary were very heartwarming and sometimes comical as well.

There really wasn’t much to dislike about this book ~ it was character driven, for sure. If I wanted to be nitpicky, about the only things that really bugged me were Mary’s constant remembrances of her Aunt Ardith and also Mary’s tendency to wear dowdy clothes, but like I said, that’s just nitpicky.

Verdict: This was Very Good. I loved every minute I spent in Ruth, WY with this couple and am looking forward to reading the other books in the Mackenzie series.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


11 Comments:


  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Rosie

    This was my second Linda Howard book it was the new release after I bought SARAH'S CHILD by accident at the UBS. That was when Beanie was a baby so many, many years ago. Glad you finally met the Mackenzies. It's also good to know the book stands the test of time and still packs a wallop.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger Dev

    Rosie ~ It definitely still packs a wallop. I've got Joe's book on order now and hopefully will have it within the week.

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Lori

    Oh Dev, you will absolutely adore the rest of the MacKenzie's books! Joe's book is fabulous! Enjoy!

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Dev

    Lori ~ I should have it within the week, and am (im)patiently waiting :-) I have Zane's book now, and am tempted to read it, but you know how I am about reading things in order.

     
  • At 1:19 AM, Blogger CindyS

    Hmm, I know I read Joe's book but I never got around to the others. I did read the daughter's story. So now do I re-read or move on ;)

    CindyS

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Blogger nath

    Hey Dev :D

    you'll probably like the rest of the series as well, since it's all in the same style :D I really liked this book and glad you enjoyed it! :)by the way, these books have been re-released recently... if you want to order the rest of the series (I can't remember the names right now...) you might want to order the re-released since it's a 2-in-1 format.

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Dev

    Cindy ~ A re-read may get you over your reading slump. :-) If you haven't read Wolf's story, you really, really should.

    Nath ~ That's an idea. I already have this one though, and I've got Joe's story on order ~ but maybe I can do that for the others.

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger Jenster

    I LOVE this series!!!

    You've been a rather busy reader lately, haven't you?? GOODONYA!!

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Dev

    Jen ~ I have! I'm trying to make up for lost time :-)

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Mollie

    This is one of my all time favs. Love the MacKenzie men. :)

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Dev

    Mollie ~ I got Mackenzie's Mission and am hoping to read it soon. Can't wait for vacation next week!