Life is too short to read a bad book.
Saturday, August 26, 2006,7:35 PM
Between Friends
Just Finished:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Recommended by: I found it in my TBR closet.

From the Back Cover (courtesy of bn.com): Debbie Macomber tells the story of a remarkable friendship -- and tells it in a remarkable way. Between Friends is a story in which every woman will recognize herself . . . and her best friend.

The friendship between Jillian Lawton and Lesley Adamski begins in the postwar era of the 1950s. As they grow up, their circumstances, their choices -- and their mistakes -- take them in virtually opposite directions. Lesley gets pregnant and marries young, living a cramped life defined by the demands of small children, not enough money, an unfaithful husband. Jillian lives those years on a college campus shaken by the Vietnam War and then as an idealistic young lawyer in New York City.

Over the years and across the miles, through marriage, children, divorce and widowhood, Jillian and Lesley remain close, sharing every grief and every joy. There are no secrets between friends . . .


What I Liked:I liked the style of this book. The story is told through journal entries, newspaper clippings, letters, memos, and emails through the course of 50 years. I’ve never read a Macomber story written in this style before, and it was a nice change.

I love the emotions of this story. It’s been a time since I’ve cried over a book. But, this book is just so emotionally charged ~ there were quite a few times, I just couldn’t help it. Macomber’s stories are usually pretty heart-felt, but wow.

I also liked the inclusion of major historical events in the book. Everything from Civil Rights, JFK, presidential elections, etc., etc., were included. It made me connect with the main characters even more.

What I Didn’t Like: Ok, I know I’m from a different era than the main characters in this book ~ but I completely did not like the relationship between Lesley and her husband, Buck. If someone treated me the way he treated her ~ I’d be gone. And I’d damned sure would have never married him. So I have to wonder, in this particular situation, is she strong…or is she spineless?

Another small thing, is I would have liked to have seen the relationships that the women built in the 90's explored more. It seemed like the last 50 pages or so, Ms. Macomber was in a rush to finish the book. Journal entries, etc., skipped large amounts of time, so I almost felt like I was cheated out of knowing something.

Verdict: Despite the small things I didn't like, I loved this book and would rate it as Excellent.

Question: Romances play a back burner to the friendship that was shared between these two women. So, that got me to wondering. Do you have a best friend, and if so how did you meet him or her? Is your best friend also your longest friendship, or have you been blessed enough to meet others who’ve touched your life along the way?

Up Next:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger Mailyn

    I can't wait for you to read LoS!!!

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Wendy

    I too loved Between Friends - which surprised me since there was no dialogue in it (I'm a dialogue junkie).

    Lesley's marriage didn't bother me so much because I DO know women from that generation who are in marriages like that. Sad, but true. But like you, felt she really should have included more in the later years. Yeah, it's nice she mentioned 9/11, but that's all it is - a mention.....

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Dev

    Mailyn ~ I'm almost done with it. I'm hoping to be finished tonight. Wish I'd read it before I'd done my top 20 list ;-)

    Wendy ~ I think my biggest problem is I'm a child of a marriage like that...of course, we got out early. In the book, the 90's onward just seemed to fly by ~ maybe a few pages here and there, but huge amounts of time were skipped over; versus in the beginning of the book it seemed like there was just more detail.

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Wendy

    Ah, that I could understand. I once read and enjoyed a book that mirrored some of my mother's own circumstances growing up. I liked the book, but it was very hard to read at times.....

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Holly

    I think I have this book on my TBR shelf. Thanks for the good review, I'll have to dig it out now.

    As for the friends question:

    I've had the same best friend since 4th grade. Though we live on opposite sides of the country, we still keep in touch. It never ceases to amaze me how we can go months without talking to one another, yet pick up the conversation as if a day hasn't gone by. It's an amazing feeling.

    Otherwise, I've been very blessed to meet several people along the way that have touched me and become very dear to my heart. The ladies from SF, especially. They comfort and support me and back me up when I need it. It's just wonderful. I never have to pretend with them or worry about anything, we're just comfortable and...friends.

    What about you?

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Dev

    Well, my best friend and I met 15 years ago. She and I started out as coworkers and are just very close. We're often accused of either being sisters or best friends when we go out in public. There are just people that are meant to be in your life. The funny thing is I met her husband before I knew her. I used to babysit for him long before they'd even met.

    My longest friendship, on the other hand, is going on 33 years. We met in kindergarten and have been friends ever since. Hard to believe someone has known me that long besides the folks in my family.

    I also have been blessed along the way with other friends ~ people I needed in my life at the time; or people who needed me in their life at the time. Sometimes life just takes over and you lose touch with each other ~ but I can meet up with these folks after months or even years have gone by and it's like we just spoke yesterday.

    It reminds me of the saying: Some people come into your life and quickly go. Others leave footprints on your heart, and you are never the same.

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger emigre

    I was hoping for Lesley to leave Buck the whole time, I couldn't put the book down.

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger Dev

    Emigre ~ I expected that too. This was such a great read ~ I think I finished this the day I started it ~ it's definitely one of those stories you just can't put down.