Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, August 20, 2006,8:03 AM
Because I like to be different..........
I'm seeing the AAR Top 100 everywhere. After looking at the list, I'd read very few. I can't even remember what the number is now ~ I posted my totals at Tara Marie's blog.

Once I got through that list, it got me to thinking "What other books are there out there that I haven't read?" I know. The question is redundant ~ good books are everywhere. But how many top 100's are there?

Well, there's the one at The Romance Reader Top 100 (technically, top 109):

1. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
2. Dream Man by Linda Howard
3. It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
4. MacKenzie’s Mountain by Linda Howard
5. Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Devereaux
6. Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale
7. The Bride by Julie Garwood
8. Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
9. Nobody’s Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
10. Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer
11. Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught
12. Naked in Death by J. D. Robb
13. Shanna by Kathleen Woodiwiss
14. Honor’s Splendor by Julie Garwood
15. Paradise by Judith McNaught
16. Almost Heaven by Judith McNaught
17. Heaven, Texas by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

18. The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss
19. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
20. Born in Fire by Nora Roberts
21. Hummingbird by LaVyrle Spencer
22. Dream a Little Dream by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
23. The Rake (and the Reformer) by Mary Jo Putney

24. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
25. Bewitching by Jill Barnett
26. After the Night by Linda Howard
27. Knight of a Trillion Stars by Dara Joy

28. The Devil’s Bride by Stephanie Laurens
29. Born in Ice by Nora Roberts

30. Lion’s Lady by Julie Garwood
31. MacKenzie’s Mission by Linda Howard
32. Once and Always by Judith McNaught

33. A Place to Call Home by Deborah Smith
34. The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwiss
35. The Windflower by Tom and Sharon Curtis
36. The Secret by Julie Garwood
37. Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught

38. Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
39. Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
40. Saving Grace by Julie Garwood
41. The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer
42. Venetia by Georgette Heyer

43. Courting Miss Hattie by Pamela Morsi
44. Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts

45. Born in Shame by Nora Roberts
46. Devil’s Cub by Georgette Heyer
47. These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer
48. Son of the Morning by Linda Howard

49. Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas
50. Something Wonderful by Judith McNaught
51. My Lady Notorious by Jo Beverley
52. As You Desire by Connie Brockway
53. The Last Hellion by Loretta Chase
54. Frederica by Georgette Heyer

55. Perfect by Judith McNaught
56. The Promise of Jenny Jones by Maggie Osborne
57. River of Fire by Mary Jo Putney
58. Thunder and Roses by Mary Jo Putney
59. Ravished by Amanda Quick

60. One Summer by Karen Robards
61. Montana Sky by Nora Roberts
62. Sweet, Savage Love by Rosemary Rogers
63. A Rose in Winter by Kathleen Woodiwiss
64. Annie’s Song by Catherine Anderson
65. Slow Heat in Heaven by Sandra Brown
66. Sunshine and Shadow by Tom and Sharon Curtis
67. The Shadow and the Star by Laura Kinsale
68. Jackson Rule by Dinah McCall
69. Anyone but You by Jennifer Crusie
70. Highland Velvet by Jude Deveraux
71. To Love and to Cherish by Patricia Gaffney
72. The Wedding by Julie Garwood
73. Alinor by Roberta Gellis
74. Duncan’s Bride by Linda Howard
75. Sleeping Beauty by Judith Ivory
76. Warrior’s Woman by Johanna Lindsey
77. Angel Rogue by Mary Jo Putney
78. One Perfect Rose by Mary Jo Putney
79. Mistress by Amanda Quick
80. Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts

81. Something Wicked by Jo Beverley
82. Mirror Image by Sandra Brown
83. The Sherbrooke Bride by Catherine Coulter
84. Lord of the Storm by Justine Davis
85. The Proud Breed by Celeste DeBlasis
86. Sunrise Song by Kathleen Eagle
87. Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
88. The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer
89. A Rose for Maggie by Kathleen Korbel
90. Family Man by Jayne Ann Krentz
91. This Is All I Ask by Lynn Kurland
92. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

93. The Wives of Bowie Stone by Maggie Osborne
94. Walking after Midnight by Karen Robards
95. Exposure by Susan Andersen
96. Getting Rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie
97. Wild at Heart by Patricia Gaffney
98. Bond of Blood by Roberta Gellis
99. The Rainbow Season by Lisa Gregory
100. If You Believe by Kristin Hannah

101. Eternally Yours by Brenda Jackson
102. Indigo by Beverly Jenkins
103. Finders Keepers by Fern Michaels
104. Simple Jess by Pamela Morsi
105. Fancy Pants by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
106. Dearly Beloved by Mary Jo Putney
107. Silk and Shadows by Mary Jo Putney
108. Heart of a Falcon by Francis Ray
109. The Outsider by Penelope Williamson

There's a lot of the same books on the list ~ but look at the ones that are on here that didn't make it on the AAR! Sandra Brown and Johanna Lindsey are on this list! The ones I've read are in bold. The ones I've added to my wishlist are in purple. The ones I'm undecided on are in green.

Hmm ~ my top 100 would be so much different, evidently, since I haven't hardly read any off of either of the two lists. My problem is, how do you pick a favorite. My books are my babies ~ I have favorites for different reasons. I don't think I could pick an absolute, definite favorite.

Renee almost hinted at doing a list of some sort, but I agree, it'd be a lot of work. It would cut into my reading time :-)

Labels:

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    I checked and I've read 93 out of 109 on the TRR list. The main ones I haven't read yet are the Roberta Gellis, Sandra Brown and Johanne Lindsay. There are a few other odd ones I haven't read either.

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Dev

    I'm working on my top 20 now ~ after much thought, I'm up the 3 on the list. I love Sandra Brown's romances, but I don't buy her anymore since she went by way of the suspense novel. I've read all of Johanna Lindsey ~ but as I get older, her heroines are staying younger which at some point, I'll probably quit reading...Well, maybe anyway. I do love Johanna Lindsey.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Marg

    I've only read 16 of these!

     
  • At 3:58 AM, Blogger CindyS

    Devonna - I can't wait to read your top 20 because then I could advise you on the book you are 'undecided' on.

    Dream Man - best LH - for me - if you think Mackenzie's Mountain is one of the best books eva! then DM might not be for you - us LHers are a divided camp ;)

    The Outsider by Penelope Williamson is a historical western that I've only ever heard raves about - I watched the movie so reading the book seems pointless.

    Anyone But You - classic - older woman with a younger man and neither want children - super cool! and funny.

    I'll leave it at that for you for now ;)

    CindyS

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger Dev

    I didn't realize picking my top 20 would be so hard. I've now got 5 on my list ~ I even went through my old series romances that I just can't get rid of to see if they'd make it. Nope, they didn't. And I've read a lot of them more than 5 times!