Life is too short to read a bad book.
Friday, August 25, 2006,6:36 AM
England's Perfect Hero
Just Finished:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


England’s Perfect Hero by Suzanne Enoch, the final book in the Lessons in Love series. This is the story of Lucinda and Robert (Bit). I was immediately drawn to Robert in the first book of the series, The Rake. He’s a wounded soldier who’s cut himself off from the world. She is the dear friend of his brother’s wife. He offers to help her with her Lessons in Love, although he doesn’t quite agree with her choice of students.

I really liked seeing Robert come out of his shell and start to heal. In the first book, the reader knew something awful had happened to him ~ but in his own book, Robert finally starts to open up. He begins to talk to the people who care about him. And he finally asks for help. This, in large part, is due to his friendship with Lucinda.

I liked the fact that Robert approached Lucinda and he befriended her. I liked the fact that she didn’t treat him with kid gloves like the rest of his family does (with the exception of Edward). Their friendship is sweet. Theirs is a true give-and-take friendship, with a little something more.

What I didn’t like ~ Well, this is me being nitpicky. This book starts only 2 months after London’s Perfect Scoundrel ends. At the end of that book, Georgie was 3 months pregnant, and Edward had just celebrated his 9th birthday. Now, all of a sudden Georgie is 7 months pregnant and Edward is 10. Amazing what 2 months will do. Although, if I hadn’t read the books back to back, I probably wouldn’t have even noticed it. Also, where are the aunts? In The Rake, the aunts were active background characters. In this book, they barely got a mention ~ and the book spanned a month of time.

This book is still a keeper.

Next Up:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At 9:52 AM, Blogger ~ames~

    I keep seeing The Rake at the UBS, is it good?

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Dev

    I really liked it. As a story, it was really good. I did think that there must have been some back story on the H&H in a previous Enoch book ~ but other than that, it was really good. I think my favorite of the series, though, is the 2nd one ~ London's Perfect Scoundrel.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Holly

    This one is my favorite! I loved Bit. But I never noticed the time difference, probably because I read them so far apart.

     
  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger romancelover

    D -

    I'm so glad you loved the series. LONDON'S PERFECT SCOUNDREL is one of my favorite books and it still astounds me that it's not mentioned more as a great! When Enoch's great, she's great...although she has created a few flops...

    St. Aubyn...I honestly had butterflies when reading his story...and the others in the series...such great heroes!

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Dev

    I absolutely loved it, Daniela. At some point I want to read her With this Ring series also. Thanks again for the suggestion!

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    I read this one and liked it. As I was moving boxes around, I discovered I had quite a few of hers I didn't know I had. I go in spurts where I forget to add them to my spreadsheet and I didn't add a lot of them. I shall have me a Susan Enoch reading fest soon!

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger romancelover

    Lately, Enoch's historicals have been...not so good. I hated SIN AND SENSIBILITY,the first book in her new series. I think she's at the 2nd or 3rd now...I can't even read the second one INVITATION TO SIN because the 1st one was so bad. I bought it but I can't read it...go figure. Still trying to figure out why I even got it.

    I enjoyed the WITH THIS RING series...it's actually tied to this one you just read, believe it or not. The hero in one of the books is the cousin of the heroine from THE RAKE. You actually get a glimpse of THE RAKE's heroine's dislike for her hero (we all know why she disliked him now don't we?). They're pretty good!!! That series really got me into ENOCH..

    They're the following:
    1. REFORMING A RAKE
    2. MEET ME AT MIDNIGHT
    3. A MATTER OF SCANDAL.

    I think I enjoyed some more than others...I can't remember...all I know is that I was hooked on Enoch after reading the series. Enjoy them!!!

     
  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger Holly

    Daniela,
    I agree about S&S. Other than the mild shock I received at the..naughtiness in the beginning, there wasn't anything to recommend the book. Other than the Lessons in Love trilogy, I haven't read anything by her. I just haven't been tempted since S&S. I will check out the onces you recommended, though.