Life is too short to read a bad book.
Monday, August 21, 2006,7:24 PM
Top 20?
Cindy came up with the idea; Kristie posted the first list. Who's going to be next?

I'm having such a hard time with this ~ Who would've thought?! My problem is that up until last summer, I only read certain authors ~ and rarely, if ever, branched out. So, I have a lot of favorites ~ but not a lot of authors. I'm posting what I've got. I think I've got 21 books, and 14 authors. I'm still trying to come up with unique authors and I'm drawing a blank.

My Top 20?

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas (any questions??)
Eloquent Silence by Sandra Brown (first Sandra Brown I'd ever read)
Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon (first Sherrilyn Kenyon I'd ever read)
Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn (first Julia Quinn I'd ever read)
Fool Me Once by Lori Copeland (first Lori Copeland I'd ever read ~ there seems to be a pattern here)
The Summerhouse by Jude Devereaux (what if you had the chance to go back in time and relive 3 weeks of your life over?)
Orchard Valley by Debbie Macomber (wonderful story by Debbie Macomber ~ she writes the best heart-tugging stuff)
Love Beyond Reason by Sandra Brown (woman raising her nephew ~ boy's father reappears several years later...I liked it anyway)
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich (first in the Stephanie Plum novels ~~ and the first Janet Evanovich I'd ever read)
A Man to Call My Own by Johanna Lindsey (great story for the "ugly duckling" sister)
The Magic of You by Johanna Lindsey (titled aristocrat working as a stable boy ~ befriends the girl who wants to marry him ((although she doesn't know it's him))
Crosslyn Rise by Barbara Delinsky (another series, can't separate ~ 3 books ~ good stories)
The Duke and I by Julia Quinn (Anthony and Kate ~ c'mon, it's gotta be in my top 20)
London’s Perfect Scoundrel by Suzanne Enoch (I just had to put it here. Technically, I just finished it yesterday...but, I enjoyed it that much)
For My Daughters by Barbara Delinsky (elderly mother, invites her 3 daughters to spend the summer...family history mixed with romance)
The Stud by Barbara Delinsky (Yes really. Woman seeking older brother of best friend for stud services ~ I liked it anyway)
Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas (Kristie'd kill me if I didn't. But really ~ a side of Derek Craven, anyone?)

Honorable Mentions:
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (don't tell me you haven't heard of this one)
Hand Me Down by Lee Nichols (cute story. I read this last summer. Younger sister syndrome ~ but it's cute anyway)
Take Me by Bella Andre (the one and only erotic romance, erotica, romantica, whatever you want to call it I've ever read. Ever.)
The Celebrity by Robert Elmer (just sweet. very simple. loved it)

***Quite frankly, you can’t go wrong with a Sandra Brown book ~ at least the ones before she went to romantic suspense. I like her straight forward romances better.

**The Dakota Born and Promise, Texas series by Debbie Macomber are also very good.

***Johanna Lindsey ~ Love pretty much anything from her ~ except the ones where the hero has such a strong brogue, I can’t understand what I’m reading.

Got Books?

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The picture above is just one of my stacks. You'll notice, this is a linen closet with 4 drawers. Normal people store ~ oh, I don't know ~ LINENS there. Nope. Not me. Books. In all four drawers. That I have yet to read. And this isn't all of them. I've got stacks in my living room, in boxes no less, from book give-aways and fundraisers, etc. After going through the AAR and TRR top 100 lists this weekend, I've now added 177 books to my library wishlist, and 188 to my UBS wishlist.

I'm trying to calculate. I'm 37 now.......how long will it take to get through these books? Then on top of that, I'm going through book journals online to see what other people have read ~ and I'm continuing to add to my wishlists. It's a sickness. Really.

Labels:

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 4:03 AM, Blogger CindyS

    Have you read Debbie Macomber's Morning Comes Softly? May be a hard one to find but I remember there was a scene in that one that had me tearing up. I wonder if it would stand the test of time.

    And yes, Sandra Brown was an awesome romance writer before she headed into suspense.

    I'll post mine tonight hopefully and I see you tagged me for 20 things that piss me off. But, I'm just the epitome of sweetness and light ;)

    CindyS

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Mailyn

    LMAO at your linen bookshelf. That's something I've never seen.

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    Hmmmm - there's quite a number of these I haven't read either, the Lindsey's, the Browns, the Delinsky's, the Macomber's. I don't think I've read that Lori Copeland and I haven't read any Deveraux's for years.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Dev

    Cindy ~ I have Morning Comes Softly and it's a great book too. Debbie Macomber's books sure can tug at the heartstrings sometimes.

    Mailyn ~ it's a sickness. My family just shake their heads at me.

    Kristie ~ Sandra Brown can write ~ she does contemporaries, but they're awesome. A few years ago she switched to suspense, so I don't read her new things ~ but her romances are classic. Lori Copeland mixes humor in her books, which I love. I few years ago, she switched to inspirational romances and her books just aren't as good now ~ it's not because of the christian element, there's just something missing now.

     
  • At 5:24 AM, Blogger Valeen

    LOL - I tried to calculate how long it would take me to get through my TBR pile the other day. It was depressing. So I try not to think about it.

     
  • At 1:51 PM, Blogger ~ames~

    Woah, I think your TBR is bigger than mine! LOL I have a weird thing where I ask myself if I'll be able to read all the books in my tbr before I die. I know, I'm crazy.
    And no, I don't know how many books are in my tbr. I don't want to know, because I know it will scare me. :P