Life is too short to read a bad book.
Saturday, December 16, 2006,8:44 PM
Christmas Crazies, Recent Buys, etc (aka the 2 for 1 post)
I’m not quite sure how it is that someone who hates shopping as much as I do found myself out during the Christmas Crazy rush today. Actually, the shopping started at amazon.com (ok, I bought myself a couple of things also) and then graduated to walmart.com (I admit a found things for me here too). But there were things I wanted to pick up for my sister, friend and mom’s boyfriend that I just couldn’t find. So, I put on my brave face and went for it.

11:00am: I started off at Boston Harbor, the best tea shop in town. They have just about every kind of loose tea you can imagine. I love this store. My mom’s boyfriend is a big fan of tea, but I can’t seem to get him past the bagged stuff. So I got him 3 kinds of loose leaf tea and an infuser. I also got a bag of tea for a friend….and a little something for me also.

11:30am: I go to World Market. I’m addicted to this store. Here, I buy some shortbread for my friend’s son and some black licorice for friend’s husband. I also stumble across some marinade and rub gift boxes so I get one for my mom and one for my sister. Little side note to the man who just HAD to have my parking spot. When waiting for a spot, it is best that you do not block the car that needs to get out of said spot. If you look at your shift column, second from the top is the Reverse gear. You may need to use this to let said vehicle out of the parking spot so that you may get into it. Truly, Sir, I’m a kind person. I’d have let you have my spot. I’d have blocked traffic for you to ensure you could park there. But first, you need to move your car so I can get out of said spot.

12:30pm: I then head over to Linens N Things to look at kitchen gadgets. I end up getting some Lock & Lock storage containers for my sister. Little side note to the woman with the two adorable children pushing the child size carts. Yes, I think your children are adorable. I thought so the first time they almost ran over me in the kitchen gadget section of the store. The second time they almost ran over me in the “As Seen on TV” section, they’d been downgraded to cute. The third time they almost ran over me in bedding, I viewed them as just slightly better than hellions. And you, adoring mother, do not just smile at me as your children proceed to try to mow me down. I said “Excuse Me” three times and you just looked me and watched your children run helter skelter all over the aisle. I do hope that eventually you teach your kids some manners. Oh, and Merry Christmas ~ or Happy Holidays, whatever it is you’d like to hear. Feliz Navidad, Happy Hanukkah, Good Kwanzaa, and Happy New Year also.

1:00pm: PetSmart. Every year, I buy my friend’s cats presents. Cleo likes jingle balls; Cato likes catnip. I’m a good cat auntie, aren’t I? Excuse me, lady driver of the gray Buick. That red octagon to your right with the letters S-T-O-P is a stop sign. You may want to remember that for the next time you venture out during Christmas Crazy season.

1:20pm: I find myself at the mall ~ in a prime parking spot even. I walk through Dillards, pick some things out at Clinique and decide to walk around the mall a bit to kill time before friend and I go to lunch. So, did I mention I’m at the mall? On a Saturday. During Christmas Crazy season. Good Lord, what am I thinking? I hate shopping! I hate crowds! Why, oh why, did I decide to leave the house today? What was I thinking?! So, I walk all the way down to the other end of the mall and back. Try to go into Bath & Bodyworks. Elbow to elbow people. No thank you! Victoria Secrets? Can’t even see through the crowd in there. So, I turn around and go back to Dillards. The Christmas kiosks this year are pathetic. Usually, there are some really cute little crafty things that you can pick up ~ not this year. Not a lot to choose from.

2:15pm: Lunch. Famous Dave’s. Chopped Pork and Riblets with coleslaw and diet pepsi. Mmm, mmm good. I needed that. Actually, what I needed was a good, stiff drink ~~ but I’m driving.

3:15pm: Back to the mall. Pick up a lip gloss sampler for my niece. And a few little something extras for myself.

4:00pm: Starbuck’s. I buy gift cards for friend and her husband and a packet of Christmas Blend coffee beans. As I leave the store I almost get run over by a great big black truck. That was fun. I need to go home. Side note to the driver of said black truck ~ I understand you wanted that great parking spot that just became available, but it is not more important than my life. Do you see those white lines painted onto the pavement? That's called a crosswalk, you moron.

4:30pm: I’m home with all my Christmas gluttony stacked in my living room. And I realize I forgot to go to the store. That’s okay. I’ll go tomorrow. That’s why they invented take out. I just can’t go out there again tonight. Unless alcohol is involved. Then I might make an exception.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recent Book Buys:

Okay, I’ve been really bad lately. I’ve been buying books left and right. That doesn’t mean I’ve read them ~ I’m still in a bit of a reading funk. And it’s starting to more than tick me off. I just want to lay down with a good book. Anyway, here’s what I’ve gotten recently:

The Four Sisters series by Eloisa James:
Much Ado About You
Kiss Me Annabel
The Taming of the Duke
Pleasure for Pleasure

The Highlander series by Janet Chapman:
Charming the Highlander
Loving the Highlander
Wedding the Highlander
Tempting the Highlander
Only With a Highlander

The Highlander series by Karen Marie Moning:
Beyond the Highland Mist
To Tame a Highland Warrior
The Highlander's Touch
Kiss of the Highlander
The Immortal Highlander
The Spell of The Highlander

With This Ring series by Suzanne Enoch:
Reforming a Rake
Meet Me at Midnight
A Matter of Scandal

Langley Family Trilogy by Lucy Monroe:
Touch Me
Tempt Me
Take Me

Must Love Mistletoe by Christie Ridgway
The Dark Prince by Christine Feehan
Thief in a Kilt by Sandy Blair (I won this one at Colleen Gleason’s blog)
Hero Worship by Dawn Calvert
Dark Side of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon (I’ve already read this one ~ had to buy for my collection)
The Pleasure Slave by Gena Showalter
Plain Jane by Fern Michaels
Knight of Darkness by Kinley MacGregor
Entangled by Kathleen Dante (I won this one at Stacy's blog)

Not to mention the countless other books in my TBR pile that I have yet to get to. Well, I just need to make it through Friday and I have almost 2 weeks off. Maybe lots of reading time ahead (I hope!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waiting Patiently to Buy:

The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason
Demon Angel by Meljean Brook
Not Another New Year's by Christie Ridgway
The Dream Hunter by Sherrilyn Kenyon
The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn
Love in the Fast Lane by Jenna McKnight
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One more quick health update. I walked almost non-stop today for almost 5 hours with hardly a limp. AND I didn’t have my orthotics in because my doctor sent them in for adjustments. I think the shots finally kicked in!

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


18 Comments:


  • At 10:02 PM, Blogger Isabel

    Oh girl you are brave heading out to the mall like that. Sounds like you got the bulk of shopping done.

    I have to head on over to the mall on my wednesday off. But I'm heading over there early. I want to be in and out.

    Damn girl, you scored a lot of books. I love KMM!

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger Dev

    Izzy ~ I still don't know how I ended up there, other than the fact I was going to go out to lunch with a friend. I hate shopping on a good day, let alone during Christmas Crazy time. As for the books ~ I know! I have lots of other things I should be spending my money on ~ but I wanted to read them and my library doesn't have them. What's a girl to do?

     
  • At 2:39 AM, Blogger Kookie

    That's a lot of books--pure heaven!
    I'm looking forward to your review on that Christine Feehan book. I haven't read any of her works yet but I've heard that they're pretty good.

    :o)

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Jennie

    You're braver than me to battle the shopping crowds! I went out briefly on Friday night and it was so crowded. I'm going to finish up my shopping online so I don't have to face it again!

    Nice haul on the books!

     
  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger Dev

    Kookie ~ I'm not sure when I'll get around to reading it. I have all these great books that I want to read, but it just seems like no book can hold my attention right now. Maybe it's the season.

    Jennie ~ I'm not sure brave is the word ~ My word of choice is stupid. I hate shopping, I'm not sure why I thought it was a good idea to go out yesterday. I started out shopping online ~ I just wish I could have found everything I wanted at amazon.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger Gena Showalter

    I want to rewrite Pleasure Slave so badly :) Shoot me an email and I'll send you Heart of the Dragon or Jewel of Atlantis (if you're interested, that is)

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger Bob & Muffintop

    Devonna- Sounds to me like you certainly earned a good stiff one (drink that is, LOL). I haven't even driven around the mall, let alone actually gone in.

    You've got quite the haul going on in your TBR. I've been in a funk myself, so I sympathize. I did manage to finish a cosy yesterday, but that was the first book in weeks.

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Dev

    Gena ~ Welcome to my blog. I emailed you ~ thank you so much for the generous offer.

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger Dev

    Amanda ~ I don't know what got into me. I was going to do all of my shopping online ~ there were just a few things I couldn't find. But, a week before Christmas the stores are going to be crazy no matter what time you go out, so I figured I'd just get it over with.

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger Stacy~

    You're lucky to be alive, Devonna. That happened to me the other night when I went out to dinner with a group from work. I was in the crosswalk and this woman in an SUV came within inches of hitting me. No, you don't get points for killing the pedestrians, sorry.

    What a great day you had shopping. I only have a few things left to get, then it's over - yay. And look at all those books!

    Great news on all the walking. I'm glad the shots are working and not keeping you stuck on the couch.

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Dev

    Stacy ~ I'm pretty much done. I need to pick up a box of candy for my friend's son and then I think it's over for another year. One of these years I really will start shopping in January so that when December comes I don't have to worry about it.

     
  • At 5:57 AM, Blogger CindyS

    Ah, your asides are pure mind candy - makes me all warm and fuzzy. At least you are kind enough not to flip a few birds. Christmas brings the moron out in all of us and yeah, your kid was cute when I first met them, now that they are chewing on shoes I'm over them ;)

    I have to go out this morning and one store I'm going to I already know it's going to be a long time because the owners love their business (which is fab for them) and they love to talk about their bikes - Bob and I went in last year to buy Bob a bike and an hour later I couldn't feel my legs and we didn't have a clue what to buy. I'm going to go there today and buy a friggin' bike and then Bob can go back after Christmas for the fittings and such. Wish me luck. I feel a blog post coming on!

    Hmmm, see, I can't really buy any more books because of my two book rule. If I have two books in my possession of an author I've never read, I'm not allowed to buy any more books by this author until I have read at least one. This has put a serious crimp in my book buying and like you, I'm dead in the water when it comes to reading.

    CindyS

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Dev

    Cindy ~ Hopefully after the holidays we'll all get our reading mojo back. It stinks because I have all these great books I want to read ~ but none of them are keeping me interested right now.

    Good luck with the bike buying! Knowing you, I'm sure there will be a post about it :-)

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger Nicole

    Brave, brave woman. I still need a few things, but I'm really dreading going out.

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Lori

    I'm exhausted just reading your post. BUT, I must brave the great mall or pay overnight shipping because I have procrastinated just a bit too long. Yes indeed Hanukkah is halfway over and I have yet to finish all the Hanukkah shopping LOL. Then I stlill need to move on to the Christmas shopping. Why, oh why did I have to marry someone who isn't Jewish? Mind you, I only lament this fact when I have to do the shopping. When I see my house with all the Hanukkah and Christmas decorations side by side, I'm loving it! And on Christmas morning, I love to see the kids' faces. But right about now, I hate the fact that I have to shop for two holidays.

    As for your book list, enjoy! I've read the entire James series, the Enoch series, and the Monroe series. Read about Janet Chapman at Sanctuary's Finest and am dying to read her. And Kathleen Dante's books look fantastic! As do Gena Showalter's. I have gone through my entire TBR off my nightstand. TIme to buy more books.

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger Dev

    Nicole ~ I'm not sure the brave is the word I'd choose :-) I must have some sort of self-harming tendencies to go out on a day like that. Thankfully, I'm all done now. Well, kind of. I still need to wrap.

    Lori ~ I think it's so great that you celebrate both. Years back when I was a nanny in California, one of the other nannies worked for a family where she was Jewish and he was Christian and they made a point of celebrating both holidays. I loved being at their house around holiday time.

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger Gena Showalter

    Well, crap. It didn't come through (it's been messing up a lot lately). Email me at
    genashowalter@yahoo.com

    We'll try that one!

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Dev

    Gena ~ Will do. Isn't it frustrating when things don't work the way it should? Thanks for letting me know (BTW ~ I started The Pleasure Slave last night ~ I'm not that far into yet, but I like what I've read so far.)