Life is too short to read a bad book.
Monday, October 09, 2006,8:59 PM
Montana Sky
Just Finished:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Recommended by: Jennie posted a few days ago that some of Nora Roberts’ books were being adapted into movies for Lifetime. I wanted to read this one before I saw the movie.

From the Back Cover: When Jack Mercy died, he left behind a lot of enemies . . .and a ranch worth nearly twenty million dollars. Now his three daughters - each born of a different marriage, and each unknown to the others - are gathered to hear the reading of the will.

Willa, the only one who knew her father, boldly expects that everything will be hers. Tess, who has reluctantly flown in from Hollywood, just hopes to fly back with as much cash as possible - as soon as possible. And Lily Mercy would be grateful for anything; she has learned to expect disappointment, even cruelty, from men.

But the women are shocked to learn that before any of them can inherit, they must live together on the ranch for one year. They are sisters . . .and strangers. Now they face a challenge: to put their bitterness aside and live like family. To protect each other from danger - and unite against an enemy who threatens to destroy all. And finally, to weave together three very different worlds in this beautiful and isolated place called Montana . . .


My Thoughts: This was just Excellent for me. I loved it from beginning to end. There are so many stories within this book ~ there’s romance, there’s family and there’s a serial killer just to make it even more interesting.

Tess is the first born daughter by Jack’s first marriage. He kicked her and her mother out when she was still a toddler and she’d never seen him again. Tess is spirited, independent ~ a borderline overachiever. She is a scriptwriter in Hollywood and at first glance is rather shallow, self-serving, and conceited. Tess’s world seems to revolve around how things affect her. She agrees to live on the ranch for the amount of time required by the will and the day obligation is met, she plans on pocketing the money she inherits and head back to Hollywood.

Lily is the second born daughter by Jack’s second marriage. He also kicked her and her mother out when she was very young. Lily is sheltered within herself, gun shy, and doesn’t trust strangers. She’s recently divorced and is more than happy to stay at the ranch in Montana in hopes that it will give her the time needed to hide from her ex-husband and hopefully restart her life.

Willa is the third born daughter by Jack’s third marriage. Willa’s mother died young, so she was raised on the ranch ~ the only daughter who really got to spend any time with her father. Because she was raised one the ranch, she believes she is the one who should inherit it. Willa is tough, strong, independent, and determined to see the ranch be successful ~ maybe even more successful than when her father ran the ranch.

Added to the mix are three men who change the course of the women’s lives ~ Nate, the family lawyer who owns a ranch a short distance from the Mercy ranch; Adam who is Willa’s half-brother and also oversees the horse operations on the ranch; and Ben, who’s family owns the ranch neighboring the Mercy land. Together, Nate and Ben are listed as executors of the estate and they must help oversee the day to day operations for the next year as the girls learn to live together as a family.

This isn’t just a romance. This is the story of family. It’s great watching a year in the life of these ladies, transporting from strangers, to reluctant housemates, to sisters. It’s a slow transformation and one that is so fulfilling to watch.

Also, because watching the relationship between the three sisters is not enough; and because watching their individual romantic relationships develop is also not also ~ there’s also a murder mystery. There’s trouble on Mercy Ranch. It starts with the discovery of mutilated livestock. And then dead bodies begin appearing. Scalped.

There are just so many things I could say about this book. Yes, it’s a romance. Yes, it’s the story of family. Yes, it’s a murder mystery. And it’s amazing that with all of these elements, the story remained as wonderful as it did. The individual stories continued to grow and the characters became more endearing with each page that I read. I was impressed with the amount of research Ms. Roberts did in writing this story. As a Montana native, it was evident to me that she knew what she was writing about ~ she captured what so many of us love about living here.

This was excellent ~ definitely a reread in the future. I’d recommend it to anyone.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


10 Comments:


  • At 11:39 PM, Blogger Holly

    Wow. NR has always been very hit and miss for me, but this one sounds awesome. I'm adding it to my TBR pile, too. But let's not let MM see the title or read it, ok? We don't need him any more excited about Montana than he already is. :)

     
  • At 1:40 AM, Blogger Rosie

    This is one of my personal NR favs for a couple of reasons. One, my parents are both from Montana and two, this was the first NR book I got for my Mom to read. She really liked Nora Roberts and Janet Evanovich's Plum series. So this one is a sentimental fav along with being a good book.

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger Dev

    Holly ~ I loved it. I think this is my favorite NR to date ~ although I haven't read very many, yet. Of course, if MM sees you reading a book with Montana in the title, he'll think you've changed your mind. You may want to get a book cover for this one.

    Rosie ~ This was a wonderful read ~ if I didn't know any better I'd have thought NR actually lived here. I could tell she'd researched the area. I got this one from the library, but I think I need to go out and buy this one.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger ~ames~

    I'm glad you enjoyed this book, I know I did. And as someone who romanticized Montana, it's good to know that what NR wrote about is pretty acurate.

    My fave romance of the three was Willa and Ben (friends into lovers thing, ya know. LOL).

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Holly

    You know, I need to blog about it again, but he hasn't mentioned Montana in awhile. We're actually discussing Northern Cali. He's pretty excited about it. We shall see. But I don't want the seed replanted, so I'll cover this one. LOL

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Dev

    Ames ~ I need to go buy this one. I got it from the library and I know I'll want to read it again sometime. I enjoyed it so much.

    Holly ~ No. Cal is pretty ~ although it's been years since I've been there. Plus, you'd be close enough so if you want to go home to visit you could just buzz down south ~ versus here, it's a 2 day drive (at least!).

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Hey, I love NR, so I'm totally adding this one to my TBR list...I've read a lot of NR's but not this one, so I'll try to hook that up pretty soon! =)

    Great review, Devonna!

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Dev

    Dylan ~ Thanks! I hope you do read it and let me know how you liked it. I just really loved this one.

     
  • At 5:30 AM, Blogger Jennie

    YAY! I'm glad you liked this! You're right, there's just so much story in the book! Three romances, family and a serial killer. It's soo good. I might feel a re-read coming on.

    And Ben! Hmmmm, yummy.

    :)

     
  • At 8:17 AM, Blogger Dev

    Jennie ~ I loved it. So much so, that I've tried to sit down and read something else within the past two days and now I'm in a reading funk. My mind is still on this story.

    And yes, Ben is definitely yummy. I loved him from the beginning when he vowed that Willa wouldn't lose the ranch.