Life is too short to read a bad book.
Thursday, October 05, 2006,2:52 PM
How Things Are Done In My Family
So, my sister's getting married in April. For the past weeks, I kept listening to her ramble on about all of these people she'd asked to be in her wedding. I'm her sister ~ she hasn't asked me anything. Granted, we're polar opposites and not very close ~ but we're sisters. Can't I at least oversee the guest book or something? Stick peanut butter under the door handles of the getaway car? Something?!

A few weeks ago, my niece and I are out for ice cream and she tells me that I'm going to be the maid of honor. I tell her that I haven't been asked. Niece blushes and asks me not to tell on her, she thought I'd already been asked. She knew her mom wanted some sort of special way to ask.

I get a call at work from my sister. Conversation goes like this:

Me: Human Resources, how may I help you?

Sister: You're going to be my maid of honor right?

Me: I will if you ask me.

Sister: Okay. Will you be my maid of honor?

Me: Okay

Sister: Okay.

That's it. Done. I'm now the maid of honor. Did I mention I'm also catering this shindig? Me and my mom. 150 guests. I'm tired already.

Labels:

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


11 Comments:


  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Rowena

    LOL, that sounds like me and my sisters...although, our conversation would have been a little different....

    Me: SAIC, this is Dylan?
    Sister: Guess who's my maid of honor?
    Me: Who?
    Sister: YOU!
    Me: Really? Cool.

    LOL.

    Good luck sweetie on the wedding, 150 guests? Damn, how much is THAT going to cost? eek!

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger Dev

    Dylan ~ I have no clue. Mom and I haven't even gotten around to planning a menu, although it's going to be pretty much finger foods and salads. Not a "real" meal, but at least a little something. At least I don't have to pay for it :-)

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Holly

    LOL! Sounds like my family, too. Well, unless it was me and my sister, and I was the one getting married. Then it would go like this:

    Me: Hello
    Sister: I'm your maid of honor, right?
    Me: Huh?
    Sister: You're going to ask me to be your maid of honor, right?
    Me: Uhhhhh
    Sister: YOU BETTER ASK ME TO BE YOUR MAID OF HONOR OR I'M NEVER TALKING TO YOU AGAIN.
    Me: Uhhhh
    Sister: I HATE YOU! YOU ARE SO MEAN!

    Yep, that sounds about right. LOL

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Dev

    Holly ~ Well, it sounds like my family's not that unique. Good to know, since I'd always wished we'd acted more like other families. Your sister has more guts than me ~ I wouldn't have ever asked, and then stewed about it until a) she asked or b) forever.

     
  • At 3:44 AM, Blogger Marg

    I can't remember how my sister asked me...isn't that sad!!

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Jenster

    That's how I like it. Quick and to the point.

    So what's on the menu? And do you cater often? That's very cool.

    Dylan - you work for SAIC? My husband used to work for SAIC. Small world, eh? Except for that SAIC is a huge company and is all over the world. lol

    Jen

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger Dev

    Jen ~ I don't cater professionally ~ at least not yet. A friend and I are toying with the idea. We catered a birthday party for her husband this summer and it was a huge success. We did say if we got good feedback we'd possibly look at doing it professionally. She's going to help me and Mom with this one too.

    Still don't have a menu yet ~ more than likely just finger foods and salads. We really need to sit down and plan soon. This thing's only 6 months away.

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger Isabel

    When I asked my sister to be my maid of honor she said, "Only if you don't pick out ugly dresses." ha ha ha. you can plan a wedding in 6 months. If I can do it so can you. :)

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Dev

    Isabel ~ I get to pick my own dress ~ it just needs to be purple.

    Is it awful of me to be thinking, "This is a lot of work for something that isn't even my day!"?

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Jennster, yeah I work for SAIC, in California...there's a bunch, but I don't work for Corporate though...I love SAIC, they rock! =)

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger nath

    Oh, Devonna, it's not bad of you to think that it's lots of work... because it is... but at least, think positively... it's not your wedding, so you're not missing much. I swear, I will be as little involved as possible at my wedding so I can enjoy and not worry too much... as for me and my sis, we've gotten closer these past few years... but there's a long way before I ask her to be my maid of honor, eps. since I have to find the groom first ^^; Have fun... I think that 6 months it's quite feasable... too bad it's not a chinese wedding tho. My cousin got married last summer... 400 guests, eek!