Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, September 24, 2006,9:21 AM
Pretty Men Make Me Stupid
Just Finished:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Recommended by: Got this one off of a review on Dana’s blog, and it sounded interesting enough that I wanted to give it a try.

From the Back Cover: Recovering witch Garnet Lacey manages Wisconsin's premier occult bookstore. And a fringe benefit of the job is getting customers like Sebastian Von Traum-piercing brown eyes, a sexy accent, and a killer body. The only thing missing is an aura. Which means he's dead. And that means trouble-something Garnet's a sucker for. Now the Vatican witch hunters are on to them, and her long-lost vampire ex has crawled out of the woodwork looking for action.

So what's a girl to do if she's hot for a dead man walking? Run like hell-and take full advantage of the nights.


My Thoughts: Ok, so maybe “Pretty Men Make Me Stupid” isn’t the title, but it was my favorite line when I first began this book, it made me laugh, so I thought “Why not?!”.

Garnet is a witch who has quit magic cold turkey. Or at least, she tries to. Almost 30, she’s trying to start her life over. A few months previously, she came home to find her entire coven slaughtered. At that point, she was in such a state of despair she asked the Dark Goddess Lilith to take over her body. Now, she and Lilith cohabitate. But, Lilith often has agendas of her own.

Sebastian is a vampire. Actually, he’s a warlock, vampire, witch and alchemist all rolled into one. Oh ~ and of course, he’s hot. He and Garnet meet when he goes to her bookstore looking for mandrake. They go out for coffee and she later ends up staying overnight at his house (on the couch). Add gentleman to the list.

Matyas is the son of Sebastian. Talk about a disgruntled teenager. This kid is the perfect example of why even vampires should use a condom. Having said that, we do find out towards the end of the book the reasons why he behaves the way he does. Not to justify it, but at least he’s understandable ~ but not very likeable.

Other characters are William, who works for Garnet in the bookstore; Izzie, Garnet’s best friend; Parrish, Garnet’s vampire ex-boyfriend, and Barney, Garnet’s cat who happens to be allergic to magic.

Ms. Hallaway has created a fun paranormal world right in the Midwestern state of Wisconsin. I got sucked into the story immediately and didn’t put it down until it was finished. I’ll say this book is Very Good. It held my interest which is what I needed and I laughed out loud quite a few times. Not to mention, there is yet another hunky Sebastian to add to my pile. I’m looking forward to the sequel Dead Sexy when it hits the stores next Spring.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


14 Comments:


  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Rosie

    Like I need another book in my TBR, but you've got me curious. I have to give this a look see now.

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger Dev

    Rosie ~ It almost reminded me of a paranormal Stephanie Plum kind of world (if you've read the series). It was nice to grab a book I liked ~ seems I've had a bad reading month this month.

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger ~ames~

    Hmm...sounds interesting. I'm going to keep an eye out for this one. Sounds better than Dead End Dating. :P

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger CindyS

    YEAH!!! I have this book in the TBR pile and pulled it out to sit on the uh, front end of the pile. You know, the pile that will hopefully get read in the next year ;)

    Glad to get good feedback on this one as I bought it on a whim in my effort to branch out with new authors.

    CindyS

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Dev

    Ames ~ It was fun. I picked it up at the library and somehow it went immediately to the top of Mt. TBR.

    Cindy ~ I hope you like it. Yes, my goal is to get through my TBR by the end of the year too ~ but then I keep adding books to it before I can ever get to reading. I think it may be a long shot.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Hey this sounds cute!! Just what I need, as soon as I'm done with all the historicals in my TBR pile, I'm going to make room for this title...it's on the list, great review and I LOVE the line...because it can be true, especially for me.

    Pretty Men Make Me Stupid, oh I love it! hehe.

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger Angela James

    Oh, I actually started reading this last night! I'm only a couple chapters in, but it's been an easy read so far.

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Blogger Dev

    Angie ~ It's cute, which is what I needed because September's been a bad reading month :-)

    Dylan ~ I loved that line and it was in the first few pages so of course I had to finish the book. It's cute and light ~ you can tell that it's part of a series. The story ends ~ but you know there's something else coming.

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Oh really? And this is the first book then? Ooh I can't wait to get to it then, thanks for the pimp!

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Dead Sexy, next Spring..I got it!

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger Dev

    Dylan ~ You're welcome. I know I've this before before it really does have a "Plum"-esque kind of feel, where the story is ended, but you know there's more to come. I'm looking forward to reading the 2nd one, and I guess the 3rd one will be out later next year.

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Holly

    Hmm, this sounds really, really good. I'm going to have to check it out.

    And did you change your template? I really like it. Sometimes I'm a little slow, work with me here!

     
  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Dev

    Holly ~ Yes, I changed it. I get bored easy. It was good ~ just the kind of light read I needed to get me out of my funk.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Holly

    I'm getting ready to change mine, too. I love my template (Mailyn ROCKS) but I'm ready for something new. We'll see how it turns out. :)