Life is too short to read a bad book.
Thursday, September 14, 2006,9:07 AM
Potpourrie
I'm not liking my job much anymore. It seems most days I come to work and can think of about a million things I'd rather be doing ~ and that includes scrubbing the toilets anywhere but here. I'm just completely unmotivated to be here, which is sad because I used to love my job. I'd been here 5 years and I still loved it ~ I enjoyed coming to work everyday. Sure, there were things I didn't like but all-in-all, I still loved it. In October last year, our department went through a reorganization and I got a "promotion". What that promotion entailed was combing my job duties with another person's job duties (aka, the boss's daughter). Essentially what happened, is that the best parts about my job were taken away from me and I was left with a lot of shit with a very little shovel. It's almost been a year and I'm just not sure. I still have some good days, but otherwise I'm just surviving here. Which really sucks since I used to love to be here.

So, from time to time I browse the want ads. My problem though, is the benefits. I've got fairly good benefits. My paid time off accrual is excellent now ~ for every 80 hours I work, I get 9 hours off so it seems I can usually take time off anytime I want/need it. That's the biggie ~ but I've also got insurance, 401k, and other little perks. I hate to think of starting over somewhere, after investing 6 years here. But the paid time off thing is what's really keeping me here.

Next week, I'm taking a mental health weekend ~ I'm taking Friday and Monday off. 4 luxurious days where I plan on doing nothing but laying around on my lazy butt and reading. I need a break. Which, I just had a 3-day weekend over Labor Day; and I just took a vacation at the end of July. I shouldn't be this burnt out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow with a podiatrist. I'm finally biting the bullet and having my feet looked at. I've been having heel pain for about two months now. It started while I was in Minnesota on vacation and just hasn't gone away. Then there are my hammertoes which are actually starting to ache all of time and I'm probably looking at surgery. But, I'm not going in until January if I have to go in. For one, I'm out of Flex money. For two, if I have my surgery in January I'll have already met my insurance deductible for the year ~ versus having surgery this late in the year.....Which brings me back to the benefits thing at work. If I have surgery, I can tap into my Extended Ill bank which is time off the company provides if you're off work due to an extended illness or injury.....Which brings me back to why maybe I shouldn't look for a new job quite yet.

Which brings me to the fact that I really need a second job, but I'm hesitant to look for one right now with all of the other stuff going on. But the money would be nice. I'm seriously considering donating plasma. It's $50/week and all I have to do is give blood. I could just lay on the bed and read. One hour/once a week/$50 ~ Gawd I sound like a poor college student. Which, I am kind of ~ I have to pay back my student loans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone watch Rockstar Supernova last night? What did you think of the outcome? I knew Magni would be the first to go, but Toby's elimination surprised me. I somehow thought he'd win ~ even though he wasn't my favorite. I wish they would have brought back all of the performers for the final show like they did last year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dancing with the Stars anyone? What did you think of that? I'm glad Sara's staying for another week. I don't see her winning, but I sure like her and glad she gets a chance to do better next week. So who's going to be eliminated next week ~ Harry or Jerry?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I bought Slave to Sensation at Walmart last night! I'm looking forward to reading it once I finish Anyone But You (I'm on the last 60 pages). I now have 42 books in my tbr pile. Think I can read them by the end of the year?

Labels:

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


16 Comments:


  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger ~ames~

    I bought Slave to Sensation last night too! LOL Great minds you know...hehe

    Sucks about the job-I've been feeling the funk for a while too. And there's really nothing holding me back at all.

    Hope everything works out with your feet. :P

    I think you can read all those books. I suggest you try before the pile gets out of control, like mine. lol

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger DEBTective

    Don't let the job get you down, dollface. Everyone has a rough stretch now and then, but don't make yourself miserable by staying at a job that doesn't light your fire. Don't let money decide if you stay or go, baby. Make sure that you deep-six your debt, then the dough won't be as big a deal.

    P.S. Sara and her partner may not be Astaire and Rodgers, but they looked a lot better than the crummy judges gave them credit for!

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Rosie

    I love Dancing with the Stars. It is the only reality show I watch. I'm not really attached to any of the stars this year though.

    I quit my job in June. I was so tired and exhausted. Too many long days. So I'm loving being at home again. Right now I haven't decided if I'm going to get another job or not. I feel so fortunate to be able to make that choice. My husband is a gem!!

    Good luck with the books. My TBR fluctuates but the lowest I think it's been in a few years is 12 books. It's at about 30-35 books right now. Yikes!!

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Dev

    Ames ~ I'll try to take a crack at that TBR pile during my mental health weekend. I should be able to knock out at least a few of them.

    Debtective ~ Thanks for stopping by......

    Rosie ~ I wish I had the option. Unfortunately I am my only supporter. I'm not sure I have anyone I'm really attached to this year ~ I liked Drew last year. I think this year maybe Joey (although, can I just say "where's your hair?!") or Mario? I'd root for Vivica if she wasn't such a Diva.

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Rosie

    I've never been a Vivica Fox fan. She's always seemed too hard edged for me. My sister and I were talking about Joey too. She hates his bald head. If you don't want people to comment about your hair I don't think going bald is the way to go. Mario...well he still seems like he belongs on Saved by the Bell. You know like he's never grown up or something.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Holly

    I'm SOO with you on the job thing. My benefits are pretty good and I love the freedom I have in my office, but I should be making more money. I'm thinking of a second job, too. And how sad is it that I actually got a little excited when I read the plasma thing. Gah. I have issues. LOL

    How's Anyone But You? I'll have to finish it tonight when I get home. I started it this morning but couldn't quite finish it. I think I have four or five chapters left.

    HUGS!

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Dev

    Holly ~ I just got home so will be finishing it soon. I only have 50-60 pages left. For a first novel it's good. Some details get left out and the story skips around some, but it's a nice, light read.

    Rosie ~ You're right, Mario doesn't look like he's aged since the days of Slater. And it's sad that I would know that because I was way past my teens before that show ever became popular.

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger Mailyn

    I hope you feel better and rested soon. It does suck when it gets that bad at work. Take your time looking for a new job to make sure you don't go from bad to worse. In the meantime I also hope all goes well at the doc tomorrow.

    *hugs*

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Blogger Jennie

    I was left with a lot of shit with a very little shovel. LOL! This might be my favorite new phrase.

    Sorry your job is sucky right now! I understand about the benefits thing--it makes such a difference and once you have them the thought of giving it up is tough.

    At least tomorrow's Friday. Hang in there! :)

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    I'm reading Slave to Sensation right now. I'm not very far into it yet, but so far it's living up to all the rave reviews!

    As to Rock Star. I loved all of the last six and would have liked to have seen any one of them win. But since only one could, I finally went with Lukas - he did an amazing job with his eyeshadow :) so even though I was sad to see the rest of them out, I was happy with Lukas as the winner.

    And I feel for you about the job. I was at one I hated for a while. I absolutely loved the people I worked with but the job itself was killing me.

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Dev

    Jennie ~ feel free to use it. Spread it around, if you will (yes, pun intended).

    Mailyn ~ I'm sure I will. It won't be long and I'll have that 4-day weekend. I'm counting the days! Maybe my mental health will be better after that.

    Kristie ~ I'm hoping to start it soon. Not sure if I'll start it next, or if it'll be down the road a little bit. But I will read it soon. Rockstar ~ I just wasn't as invested this year. I liked the singers better last year. But, I'll be interested to see how Lucas meshes with the band. I have a feeling there'll be more than one record deal signed because of this year's season, though.

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger CindyS

    1. Nepotism sucks.
    2. You guys get paid to give blood!? We donate our blood up here!


    I finally gave myself permission to sit and read STS. Woohoo!

    Hope you can figure out what to do about your job. Could you go to the other chick and say 'look bitch, it's time you did some of the slock and I get some of the fun shit'. I'm just saying, if you're going anyways ;)

    Remember, there is a reason I don't work. I don't play well with others.

    CindyS

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Blogger Dev

    Cindy ~ Down here, donating blood and donating plasma are two different things. Donating blood you don't get paid for, but plasma they pay for.

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger Dev

    Doctor's appointment went okay. No surgery needed (yay!).

    Also ~ I may have the inside track on a second job. Retouching photos for one of the top local photographers. I have a friend who works for them and they need some extra help.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Hey did you see who went home last night on Dancing with the Stars? I didnt'...crap, I was busy with other things.

    Who did I miss going home? I hope you know.

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Dev

    Dylan ~ Shanna Moakler left. I didn't know her really, but she seemed kind of sweet. I don't like Mario anymore since he and his partner are dating in real life. I'm not sure why that matters to me, but he's such a he-whore that when I found that out it completely turned me off.

    e4c5 ~ Yes, it does.