Life is too short to read a bad book.
Tuesday, September 19, 2006,9:35 PM
Real Women Don't Wear Size 2
Just Finished:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Recommended by: Got this one off of a review on Laurie Likes Books blog.

From the Back Cover: When the big three-oh comes and goes, Clarise Robinson finds she isn't all that disheartened with the curves life has thrown her way. As a matter of fact, she's learned to work with them-as head of the women's department at Eubanks Elegant Apparel, she's known for her style and her sass.

Yes, the female once deemed "cautious" by her college buddies has unquestionably left that wallflower image behind to grasp a new label: "confidently curvy." But deep down, Clarise knows she's still holding back, still playing it safe, particularly when it comes to her best friend, boss, and secret fantasy, Ethan Eubanks. And now it's time to throw caution to the wind, to take off the gloves and, perhaps, everything else...


My Thoughts: Hmm. Well, I honestly don’t know what to say about this book. I really wanted to like it ~ and I guess I must have on some level because I finished it. But, I expected more of a story. Yes, it’s the female-friend-secretly-in-love-with-her-male-best-friend kind of tale ~ and also an employee-secretly-in-love-with-her-boss kind of tale. Clarise is a single just-turned-30 professional woman. Okay, she’s a little tubby. How little I’m not sure. Maybe 20 or 30 pounds? Not quite sure on that one. She wants to eventually become a buyer at Eubanks Elegant Apparel. Ethan is a good-looking 30-something executive for Eubanks ~ his father founded the company and he along with his twin brother, Jeff, oversee the operations. Ethan and Clarise have been friends for three years. Essentially, it’s been three years of Clarise listening all about Ethan’s romantic exploits.

Then, the employees of Eubanks go to Tampa for company bonding and also to enjoy the Gasparilla Pirate Fest. Then Ethan and Clarise’s relationship changes. Which, since I always go for the HEA, I should have been happy about. But it seemed to be all sex. I mean when did he develop feelings for her? One minute they’re friends and the next they’re having sex all over Tampa. And, not that I’m into racy sex scenes because I’m really not, but the sex scenes were just……unfulfilling.

I guess I’d rate it Okay. Again, I did finish it and normally if I completely dislike a book I don’t bother. So I must have liked something about it on some level. I just don't know what it is.

(I made an executive decision ~ Posting about the Gasparilla Pirate Fest counts as part of the celebration of "Talk Like a Pirate Day")

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Rosie

    This is the second review (two different books) I've read of a book I had in my hands and put back on the shelf. Whew! Looks like angst and frustration avoided.

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger ~ames~

    I probably won't be picking this up. Oh well. :P

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger Dev

    Laurie at Laurie Likes Books had some very good things to say about this one. Unfortunately, the book just didn't mesh with me. Maybe I was too excited to read it, so I was naturally disappointed?

    I really hate it when I play devil's advocate with myself.

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Holly

    LOL! You crack me up, because I do that all the time.

    I don't think I'll read this one. Not right now, anyway. I'm kind of over the friends-turned-lovers bit. Good review. ;)

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Blogger Jenster

    I can't get past the title. I keep trying to think of any women I know who are actually a size 2. Even my very thin, Audrey Hepburnesque friend isn't a size 2.

    Obviously I have no business reading this book because I'm giving the title too much thought!

    Jen

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Dev

    Jen ~ LOL. I was excited to read the book, in part, because of the title. Heck why not. I do like the chubby stories once in awhile. The Next Big Thing by Joanna Edwards and Take Me by Bella Andre were good. This one was a disappointment ~ probably because I'd been looking forward to reading it for so long.

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Hmmm, I'm not sure if I'd pick this one up or not because of your review, but then again I have been known to pick up a book because I like the hero's name...and I like the name Ethan.

    LOL.

    But it was good reading, your review...good reading.

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Mailyn

    (I made an executive decision ~ Posting about the Gasparilla Pirate Fest counts as part of the celebration of "Talk Like a Pirate Day"

    LOL! Exeutive decision. You make it sound so final and urgent.

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger Dev

    Dylan ~ Heck, I never know what to write. I pretty much jot down my notes as I go along.

    Mailyn ~ Had to do something ~ everyone else was posting their pirate books and movies and I had nothing. Oh, wait. I could have posted The Pirate Movie. Ah well. Too late now.