Life is too short to read a bad book.
Saturday, October 07, 2006,6:05 PM
Wanting Something More
Just Finished:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Recommended by: The 3rd in the Stepp Sisters trilogy.

From the Back Cover: You have got to be kidding me! On a night like this, when most sane people are home to escape a blinding snowstorm, I happen to run into Millbrook's biggest jerk, Nathaniel Peck, the boy who broke my heart at my junior prom. The one who kissed me on a dare and let his buddies laugh at me. Well, eat dirt, Nathaniel Peck, because you might have noticed me on the covers of a few magazines under the heading: Supermodel. I live in New York City now. I will be leaving as soon as the weather clears. And frankly, if it were a choice between kissing you or braving downed electrical wires, I'd have to think about it.

It's official: I've regressed. It's just that I can't stand the Cult of Nathaniel Peck that has come over this town. Okay, so he is Chief of Police. So he did make sure I got home safely. So he didn't try anything funny with me. So that old smirk has been replaced by a sexy, sad smile...No. People just do not change that much. Somewhere inside Nate is the same leering, conniving womanizer I remember. And I intend to prove it....


My Thoughts: I had my mind made up before I ever opened the book that I wasn’t going to like it. Why? Because I didn’t like how Nathaniel treated Marty in Wanting What You Get. I thought he was a jerk. And I thought this book was going to somehow try to reform him.

By page 40, I realized I’d made a mistake. I sympathized with Nate ~ felt so bad for him for what happened, and the fact that he wasn’t bitter. He was trying to make a better life for himself ~ be a better person. By page 50, I knew I’d really stepped in it. I liked Nate. I thought he was truly a decent guy and he was trying to be a good friend to Marty. And they were both suffering for it because though they tried to be friends, they both wanted more.

What didn't I like? The use of the word "darling". I just don't see Nate using the word. But then again, I'm more of a "honey" kind of gal.

For me, this was between a Good and a Very Good read. I liked it. I’m almost sad to see the series end. I like the Stepp sisters and the world they live in. Luckily, I own the books now so I can revisit their world whenever I want to.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At 1:34 AM, Blogger Rosie

    As I originally wrote when I read these that they were a great diversion and treat to read. The third book was my least favorite, but I'm not saying it was bad at all.

    As a reader we wonder how Ms. Love is going to redeem Nate and then we experience his inner dialogue and transformation. Just wish there had been more of that.

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Holly

    Yep, I added this series to my TBR list, too. I'm such a sucker. LOL

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger Dev

    Rosie ~ I'm almost glad I didn't get to "see" Nate's transformation....I'm not sure I would have like him or not because he was such a jerk in the other book.

    Holly ~ Whatever I can do to help build Mt. TBR :-)

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Holly

    Yeah, you're a real peach! LOL

     
  • At 2:34 PM, Blogger Dev

    Holly ~ I've always thought so :-)

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Ooh, this one sounds good too, I'm adding this one to the list of books to get and read so I don't forget to check out soon...thanks!

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Dev

    Dylan ~ I liked it. My favorite was Ellie's story (Wanting What You Get) ~ but I did like them.