Life is too short to read a bad book.
Saturday, June 21, 2008,11:30 AM
The Forever Summer by Suzanne MacPherson
Just Finished:

Synopsis: The Awful Truth about Emily Ruth

Lucas Griffin has come to Port Gamble for one purpose: to get the Griffin family summer home out of the clutches of his evil ex-wife, Emily Ruth Griffin.

But before he can blink twice, she drops dead in the local grocery market. Now he's stuck with her ghost, and her little dog, too.

Not-So-Dearly Departed Lila Abbott has had her fill of rich summer people who crowd Port Gamble every year. Townie girls and summer boys just don't mix, and she's learned that the hard way.

But Lucas Griffin has a ghost problem that only Lila can solve, and she finds herself knee-deep in Cheez Whiz while Lucas and the deceased Emily Ruth duke it out.

Working together to clear his name and get rid of their pesky poltergeist, Lucas and Lila find themselves falling in love. Maybe this will finally be the forever summer for Lila Abbott.


My Thoughts:Hmm. Well, I honestly don’t know what to say about this book. I really wanted to like it ~ and I guess I must have on some level because I finished it. But, I expected more of a story. Especially since there were so many facets that should have been appealing ~ paranormal, murder mystery, opposites attracting, working class girl falling for the rich summer guy, etc, etc.

I liked Lila, and I liked Lucas. I’m just not sure I liked them together. I just didn’t feel it. Well, technically I guess I maybe felt it in the very beginning. And then again when they first do “the deed”. That was fun. And Chapter 16. I liked the end of Chapter 16. But any other time? No. Not really. And the ILY seemed to come out of right field. I don’t feel like I ever really get to know the characters, so maybe that’s why. I don’t know.

The story seemed to have a lot of holes in it for me. The storyline seemed choppy. And then there were a few misspelled words that the editor should have caught, but didn’t. That threw me a bit.

The side characters didn’t really add much to the story either. Except maybe Bonnie, Lila’s best friend. I liked her, or at least I would have if she’d been around more. But I wasn’t invested in the rest of them.

The whole whodunit part of the story was easy to figure out. I had that one pegged from the get-go. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I’m usually pretty good at figuring that out. And I’m not big on mysteries anyway (says the girl who starts a book by reading the final chapter).

Verdict: I guess I’d rate it Okay. Again, I did finish it and normally if I completely dislike a book I don’t bother. So I must have liked something about it on some level. I just don't know what it is.

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger nath

    LOL, Dev, we really have similar tastes in books :D I didn't enjoy this one... I don't know, sometimes I think it's the age of the characters... it just wasn't as fun as it could have been.

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ I'm not surprised you didn't like this one :-) It just wasn't what it could have been. Or maybe it just wasn't what I thought it would be? Not sure. It was just missing something.

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Isabel

    The blurb sounded really good too. I'll skip this one. :)

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Dev

    Izzy ~ That's why I got it. Thankfully, I got it from the library so I'm not out any $$.