Life is too short to read a bad book.
Monday, June 16, 2008,10:07 PM
Breathless by Laura Lee Guhrke
Just Finished:

Synopsis: Lily Morgan may be Shivaree, Georgia's most talked-about lady. Everyone in town knows about the bitter breakup of her marriage five years before, when Daniel Walker, her husband's tough, uncompromising lawyer, tore her reputation to shreds and left her with nothing but a wish to get even. But now something about Daniel makes her blood boil and her pulse quicken . . . not with righteous fury, but with passion.

Daniel has returned to Shivaree to once again match wits with Lily Morgan. The thought of a rematch with Lily delights him, for he has never forgotten her hot temper--or her lovely looks. But when a shocking murder shakes the town, Daniel joins Lily to find a killer, and their unexpected partnership sparks something between them they never expected--desire. Now Daniel, the strong-willed lawyer for whom winning is everything, realizes he must win the one reward he can't live without: Lily's forgiveness--and her love.


My Thoughts: I first heard about this book from a guest review that Nath did at Book Binge, and usually if Nath likes it, I’m pretty much guaranteed I’ll like it too.

By page 7 I was laughing out loud and that pretty much continued throughout the majority of the story. Lily is a stubborn character and I love how Daniel’s mission in life seems to be to get her riled at every turn. What he does to her and how she responds kept me laughing throughout most of the book. The amount of hatred that Lily had for Daniel seemed to leap right off the pages. Literally. But then, slowly the hatred turned to tolerance. Which turned to respect. Which turned into a friendship. Which turned into something else entirely.

I enjoyed Lily’s tenacity. She was a smart, stubborn, flawed woman. The fact that she was wronged, but still held her head up high just made me like her more. The fact that she hid her hurt and sadness behind acting out by wearing outrageous outfits or displaying a naked statue of David (no fig leaf) in her foyer just added depth to the character.

For the most part I enjoyed Daniel’s character as well. I enjoyed his sarcasm, his wit, and his sense of humor. He’s smart, shrewd, and driven to succeed. He’s also arrogant and cocky ~ which I guess adds to his charm. I also like how he is with Lily. First as an adversary, then as a friend.

The story was a wonderful read from beginning to end with not only great lead characters, but also a host of well-written side characters that gave great depth to the book. I loved every minute of it, and of course the ending left me with a goofy grin on my face with is a sure-tale sign that I enjoyed it.

Verdict: This was Very Good. This was the first book of Laura Lee Guhrke’s that I’ve read, but it definitely won’t be the last. I’m looking forward to catching up on some of her other stories and have her Guilty series on order.

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


12 Comments:


  • At 6:39 AM, Blogger nath

    Isn't it fun when you have similar tastes to someone else? That way, you know which book to pick up and which to not :D

    Glad you enjoyed Breathless! I really liked it... it's not just funny, but I was so angry and frustrated as well for Lily, because ppl were so close-minded and prejudiced! This was definitively one of her great books :D Which other ones does your library have?

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ My library only has 3 of hers ~ The Wicked Ways of a Duke; And Then He Kissed Her; and Not So Innocent. So, I ordered some from paperbackswap ~ She's No Princess; Guilty Pleasures; His Every Kiss; and The Marriage Bed.

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Sarai

    OMG I love LLG love her characters and stories. Although I have this one I haven't read it simply b/c I love her other series more. BUt I might have to look at it harder.
    Have you read Connor's Way?

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Dev

    Sarai ~ I haven't read Conor's Way yet. I've got it wishlisted at paperbackswap. but I'm not sure how long it'll be before I can get my hands on it. It sounds amazing though.

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger Stacy~

    I really loved "Guilty Pleasures" and this one sounds really good. I'm going to have to add it to my tbb pile. Great review, Dev :)

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    This one is quite grand isn't it? Sadly *cue heavy sigh* I noticed a change in her style and I don't like her later books nearly as much as her earlier ones. My favourite of all time though is Conor's Way. If you ever see it - grab it! It's not funny like Breathless, but it is Very Good!

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger Dev

    Stacy ~ I ordered Guilty Pleasures from PBS and hopefully will have it within the week! Cannot wait to read it :-)

    Kristie ~ I can't get my hands on Conor's Way. I've got it wishlisted at Paperbackswap, but it'll probably take a long while before I get it. I've heard it's fantastic, though.

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Blogger ~ames~

    Great review. I'm definitely picking this one up soon!!

     
  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger nath

    You did really good ordering that trilogy, Dev! I hope you enjoy :D I really enjoyed And Then He Kissed Her! as for the other two your library owns, they were okay read.

     
  • At 7:52 AM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ I'm looking forward more to the books I ordered than the ones at the library. I cannot wait until they get here. From the library, I'll probably read And Then He Kissed Her first and read the others when I get the time.

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger Rosie

    Kristie and Wendy tSL got me turned onto LLG and Breathless. I'm with Kristie though. I just started reading LLG this past year and have found I liked her older stuff a bit better so you should have great luck with your order. I have also written CONOR'S WAY on my TBB list. Kristie never steers you wrong.

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Dev

    Rosie ~ I've got Conor's Way on my wishlist now. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up at UBS or a Library Sale or something like that. Amazon is selling them for $20.00 ~ which is a little out of my budget :-)