Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, June 15, 2008,10:30 AM
The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn
Just Finished:
Synopsis: Jack Audley has been a highwayman. A soldier. And he has always been a rogue. What he is not, and never wanted to be, is a peer of the realm, responsible for an ancient heritage and the livelihood of hundreds. But when he is recognized as the long-lost son of the House of Wyndham, his carefree life is over. And if his birth proves to be legitimate, then he will find himself with the one title he never wanted: Duke of Wyndham.

Grace Eversleigh has spent the last five years toiling as the companion to the dowager Duchess of Wyndham. It is a thankless job, with very little break from the routine... until Jack Audley lands in her life, all rakish smiles and debonair charm. He is not a man who takes no for an answer, and when she is in his arms, she's not a woman who wants to say no. But if he is the true duke, then he is the one man she can never have...


My Thoughts: This is another winner for Julia Quinn. What a great story this was! I was taken with Jake the moment he was introduced in the story and I liked him more and more the further I read. Same with Grace. The two of them are easily one of the best couples JQ has ever written. I loved Jack’s humor, his wit, his love of family, and most of all, his love of Grace. Just an awesome character. In Grace, I loved her loyalty, her caring, the way she found humor in almost every situation, and finally , I loved her love of Jack.

There were also some great side characters ~ Thomas, the man formerly thought to be the Duke of Wyndham who had befriended Grace when she thought herself no more than a servant in his household; Amelia, the young woman who found herself betrothed to Thomas since infancy who I got to witness form a tight friendship with Grace throughout the pages of this story; then there was the Dowager, a woman I loved to hate at every turn of the page, but yet also found myself liking in spite of myself.

Verdict: This was Excellent. I love Julia Quinn anyway, but this story was exceptional. It had a lot of emotion, and a lot of laughter which is what I expect from JQ. I am now anxiously waiting until October when I can purchase the follow-up book, Mr. Cavendesh, I Presume? which is the story of Thomas and Amelia. I cannot wait!

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


10 Comments:


  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Carolyn Crane

    Oh, I love the new look. I haven't been here in so long, so maybe you've had it up a while.

    Thanks for the review. I'm very curious about this book. Sounds like one of the better JQ's!

     
  • At 2:42 PM, Blogger Dev

    Carolyn ~ It is definitely one of the better JQs. I started it yesterday afternoon and finished it this morning ~ close to 400 pages and I did not stop reading until I was done with it. It was that good.

     
  • At 2:56 AM, Blogger Marg

    I really liked this when I read it too. Really looking forward to the follow up book.

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger Dev

    Marg ~ Me too! I really liked Thomas and Amelia so I'm looking forward to their story.

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Isabel

    I really enjoyed this one too. Gosh that old woman was just something else. lol.

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Dev

    Izzy ~ I know! And for some reason I kept picturing her as a cross between Mrs. Thornton (North & South) and Mrs. Harris (Anne of Avonlea). She was definitely a piece of work, though.

     
  • At 4:02 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    I hadn't read Julia Quinn for a while, but I got back on the horse with this one. I haven't read it yet - too many books - not enough time, but I'm glad to see that you and so many others have really enjoyed it.

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger Dev

    Kristie ~ If you're going to get back on the JQ book, this would definitely be the one to do it with. Hope you get the time to read this one soon.

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Blogger nath

    LOL, agree with everything that's been said here :D This was a great book! :) Loved Jack! and I can't wait for Mr. Cavendish, I presume? Lucky for us, it's coming out this fall :D

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ Exactly! I'm looking forward to it :-)