Life is too short to read a bad book.
Thursday, December 20, 2007,9:58 PM
The Wednesday Letters by Jason Wright
Just Finished:


Synopsis: Jack and Laurel have been married for 39 years. They've lived a good life and appear to have had the perfect marriage. With his wife cradled in his arms, and before Jack takes his last breath, he scribbles his last "Wednesday Letter." When their adult children arrive to arrange the funeral, they discover boxes and boxes full of love letters that their father wrote to their mother each week on Wednesday. As they begin to open and read the letters, the children uncover the shocking truth about the past. In addition, each one must deal with the present-day challenges. Matthew has a troubled marriage, Samantha is a single mother, and Malcolm is the black sheep of the family who has returned home after a mysterious two-year absence. The Wednesday Letters has a powerful message about forgiveness and quietly beckons for readers to start writing their own "Wednesday Letters."

Why I Read It: Because of a review that Mad did of this book on her blog.

My Thoughts: I started this story pretty much knowing the idea, but I assumed that the story would be told virtually through all of the letters. I was wrong. Yes, the letters were an amazing part of this story, but it was so much more than that. It was so many things. It was about family, forgiveness, love, lost love, faith, home, friendship, and community. And with those you get everything. I felt connected to these people ~ to Jack and Laurel, their children, and their abundance of friends. Yes, the story was mainly about Jack and Laurel, but also about their children and how they dealt with the loss of their parents.

I loved the interaction between Malcolm, Matthew, and Samantha. Visualizing them sitting around the dining room table and reading the letters and discovering a part of their parents that they never knew. I laughed several times reading about the escapades of Jack and Laurel in their youth, some discoveries were heartbreaking, some had me laughing so hard I cried, some gave me several “Awww” moments at the sweet, sentimental way that Jason Wright pulled me into this story.

Verdict: This was Very Good. So good, in fact, that I definitely want to read Jason’s other book, Christmas Jars. If you’re in the mood for a good story that touches just about every part of you, than I urge you to give this a try. You won’t be disappointed.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At 2:58 AM, Blogger Rowena

    Oh wow, this sounds really good...I'm gonna have to add this to my list and get it soon...I want to read this! Great review!

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Stacy~

    This does sound good, just like the type of story to read for the holidays. I will be looking for this one over the weekend. Thanx for the review.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Holly

    This sounds great! I'm going to see if I can find in eBook format so I have something new to read over the weekend. :)

    Thanks for a great review.

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Dev

    Wena ~ It was. It also was a quick read, which I was in desperate need of :-)

    Stacy ~ I hope you find it. I'm going to see if I can hunt down Christmas Jars tonight and read it over the weekend.

    Holly ~ I don't have an ebook (yet ~ hint, hint). I hope you're able to get it ~ it's a great book to curl up with for a few hours on the weekend.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Isabel

    I'm putting this on my amazon list. This sounds really good!

     
  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger Dev

    Izzy ~ I hope you like it!

     
  • At 7:43 PM, Blogger Jason Wright

    Thanks, Dev! So glad you liked it. Merry Christmas :)

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger Dev

    Jason ~ Thanks so much for stopping by. Merry Christmas :-)