Life is too short to read a bad book.
Saturday, September 29, 2007,8:14 PM
Savannah, anyone?
So, my mom's boyfriend is sending me and mom on an all-expenses-paid trip to Savannah, GA next spring for two whole weeks! Why, you may ask? Because we're both obsessed with Paula Deen. Not sure of the dates yet, but it's something to look forward to.

So, has anyone ever been there? Any recommendations on things to see, where to stay, where to eat?

Somethings are a given. We'll definitely be eating at Lady and Sons probably way more than once if Mom has her way. Fine by me, except they don't accept reservations and of course, it's madhouse there (I hate, hate, hate crowds).

We'll also be going to Tybee Island right outside of Savannah. Nothing like eating seafood right on the water.

And let's not forget Ghost Tours. Yup, I'm dragging Mom on one of those ~ it's not her thing, but I'm still dragging her along :-) (Remind me to tell you the story of the ghost tour I took here in Virginia City a few years ago ~ was a little freaky).

Also the Civil War Tour. looks awesome to me. I'm a huge history buff and love to just be in the places where history occured. The air and the feel of those places are just different for me ~ almost magical. As part of this, we'll also be doing the Historic Homes Walk and taking a look at the old antebellum mansions.

Last, but not least, Hilton Head is only an hour away, so we'll be traveling there for a day trip.

So any thoughts, suggestions, ideas? I sure would love the input ~ I'm planning the whole thing. Mom forgets I'm not a travel agent anymore.

Labels:

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


10 Comments:


  • At 11:21 PM, Blogger Rosie

    Dev, I was in Georgia in May, my sister lives in Atlanta. Savannah is sublime. They have a bookstore totally devoted to the book MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL which is based on a true story and about Savannah society. When you are downtown it's easy to check out.

    We tried to get into Paula Deen's for lunch but were too late. I'm sure if you are a fan, like my sister is, you know all about the two seatings a day, etc.

    It's be-you-tee-full country. You are going to love it to bits.

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger Dev

    Rosie ~ Thanks! I'm excited. We're hoping to be there around the same time that the blossoms are out.

    I'm thinking we're probably going to stay along the river ~ Mom, of course, wants to stay as close to Paula's restaurant as possible ~ but I don't think there are a lot of hotels in that area.

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Jen

    I have been to Georgia a couple of times, but never Savannah. Sorry! My MIL LOVES Paula Deen and would love a trip like this one. Have a great time!

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Dev

    Jen ~ I'm definitely excited. We're hoping Paula's doing some of her cooking classes while we're there. That would be a hoot.

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Jenster

    Wow!! What a great guy!! You guys are going to have so much fun.

    I've never been to So. Carolina, but we're going to Hilton Head next May for a wedding. We may have to take a trip into Savannah for a glimpse of Paula - Katie loves her.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger Dev

    Jen ~ Wow, now wouldn't that be cool if we were down there at the same time? :-)

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger Rowena

    OMGOSH you're so lucky! You're going to eat at the Lady and Sons restaurant? You've got to blog about that because I wanna know how that experience is, there's always a long line when I see them filming PD at the restaurant...*sigh* I LOVE PAULA DEEN! Of all of the chefs on the Food Network, Paula Deen is my favorite! I have two of her cookbooks and her peach cobbler is THE BOMB!

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Dev

    Wena ~ We're excited. I'm really hoping that she's doing her cooking class while we're there. It's going to be fun.

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Rowena

    I watched some PD shows on tv last night but the show that I seem to be addicted to is Ace of Cakes, I LOVE THAT SHOW!

    Man, that would be so awesome if you were able to meet PD in person when you go to Savannah...promise me you'll try the peach cobbler when you go to the Lady and Sons restaurant? Okay, well only if you want it..haha.

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Dev

    Wena ~ I love cobbler, but hopefully they have something other than peach. I can't stand cooked peaches. I don't know why, I love them raw, but cooked peaches set off my gag reflex something awful.