Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, September 16, 2007,7:36 PM
Forbidden Pleasures
Just Finished:



Why I Read It: I honestly can’t remember why I ordered this book ~ but it’d been on my wish list for awhile.

From the Back Cover: Replacing a social life with a career, bestselling romance novelist Emily Shann has gotten by on a vivid imagination, hiding a shocking secret that not even her publisher suspects -- until she's asked to write something that's hotter, sexier, more explicit, and true to life. Emily has nowhere to turn for advice except to her new editor -- tall, dark, and handsome Michael Devlin -- who's already stirring her fantasies. So is The Channel -- a secret network designed to tutor women in the art of sensual delight. Now more willing than ever before, she must convince Devlin to teach her everything he knows...if her literary fantasies are finally to become unedited flesh-and-blood reality.

My Thoughts: Well, where to start? I loved the first 50 pages and read them very quickly. I instantly loved the spark between Mick and Emily and was rooting for them from their first meeting.

Then it took a turn. Emily is over 30 and a virgin. Okay, that didn’t bother me. What bothered me is she didn’t seem to know anything. I mean, come on. In this day and age? The woman writes romance novels for cripes sakes, and doesn’t know anything? Then there was the whole immediately going into bed factor ~ seemed to kill the chemistry for me right away. And don’t get me started on the Angel Face thing. Blech.

After suffering through pages 50-60, I started liking the book again. Save for the fact that Emily, a 31-year-old woman living in modern times didn’t know a woman could get pregnant from having sex the first time (I guess we, the readers, are supposed to conveniently forget that Emily herself was a product of a one-night-only tryst between her parents???). Again, give me a break. Other than that, I found myself smiling at the dialogue between Mick and Emily again and actually enjoying the story.

One other tiny thing that bothered me was the fact that Ms. Small tends to repeat herself ~ almost to the exact sentence. I would read a sentence that had already been written 50 pages prior. I had to overlook that and just continue on.

This book could have gone either way with me ~ today, I was in a more forgiving mood and chose to overlook the little things that may have turned this into a wallbanger. I’d say it was somewhere between Okay and Good. I liked it and it kept my interest for a day of reading, which was something I hadn’t done in a long time. I’ve already ordered the other two books in the Pleasures Series and am hoping that I’m not disappointed.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 6:29 AM, Blogger nath

    Hmmmm... sometimes, you really have to wonder what authors are thinking? I mean, to give us such a clueless author? I agree with you that in these modern times, it's impossible not to know anything... unless you've been raised in the convent. ^^;

    hopefully, the next books will be better :D

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Jen

    Doesn't know a thing and she is a romance novelist? Impossible! Good interaction between characters can carry a book though - which is what seems happened here :-)
    I have tagged you for a meme Dev. Details in my latest post.

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger ~ames~

    Ugh-I'm getting sick of Bertrice Small. LOL Guilty pleasure though, I keep getting her stuff out of the library. She doesn't just repeat herself within a book, she repeats herself in several books.

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ I hope so too, since I already ordered them and all :-)

    Jen ~ Mick and Emily did have good chemistry, so it carried the book for me. I still need to get to the Meme. Hopefully soon!

    Ames ~ I'd never read Bertrice Small before. Hate to hear that she repeats herself in other books too. That's why I quit reading Diana Palmer. I felt like I was reading the same story over and over again.