Life is too short to read a bad book.
Saturday, September 08, 2007,8:10 AM
The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes
Just Finished:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Why I Read It: The story sounded like something I’d enjoy ~ I'd first heard of it from Rosie, but a good friend just finished it and had also really liked it. Plus, well, I just love Jennie Crusie.

From the Back Cover: You’re invited to spend the weekend with three extraordinary sisters…

When she was sixteen, Dee Fortune kidnapped her two younger sisters and ran from danger. Now twenty-nine, she’s still trying to control her shape-shifting power—no easy task when Danny James shows up one Friday morning with his deadly smile and dangerous questions about the past.

Lizzie is determined to save her family from financial ruin by turning straw into gold; now if she could only stop turning forks into bunnies. Then Elric, a sorcerer, appears one Friday—annoyed with the chaos Lizzie is creating in the universe and in his heart. . . .

The youngest Miss Fortune, Mare, towers above her sisters but her telekinetic power is dwarfed by their gifts. She spends her days at Value Video!! and her nights contemplating the futility of her existence. But then a gorgeous Value Video!! VP and Mare’s long lost love turn up. . .and they all turn up the heat on a weekend that no Fortune will soon forget!


My Thoughts: Well, I did like it ~ I really did. But....the song "Hello, I Love You Won't You Tell Me Your Name?" kept going through my head while I was reading it. It felt rushed. The book was over 400 pages so it shouldn't have, but it did. I felt the ILY came too soon and that there was more of a story to tell. There didn't seem to be any angst or conflict ~ just a resolution. A good story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Well, with this one there was a beginning and an end. It seemed the sisters barely met their true loves, and suddenly there was ILY and marriage proposals all over the place. And I'm wondering to myself, "Okay, what did I miss?"

That being said, it did keep my interest. Those of you who still visit know of the problems I've had connecting to any book this year ~ so that in and of itself is a good enough reason to hold on to this one. I'd say this is a Good Read. The characters were likeable and I enjoyed my time in their world. It's kind of like eating dessert without coffee ~ it's still good, it's just missing something.

Labels: , , , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Rosie

    Yeah, more story would have been good. But that crazy wacky Crusie voice is hard to resist isn't it? If you get a chance to read AGNES & THE HITMAN I think you'll like it too.

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Blogger Jen

    This sounds like something I would like! Will have to put it on my wishlist!

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Dev

    Rosie ~ I've got Agnes & the Hitman on my wishlist. Hopefully will get it soon :-)

    Jen ~ It's good. I hope you like it!

     
  • At 5:11 AM, Blogger Stacy~

    Sounds interesting - I'll have to check it out.

     
  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger nath

    So which was your favorite couple? I enjoyed it too, but yeah, I thought something was missing. sigh.

     
  • At 7:41 AM, Blogger Dev

    Stacie ~ I hope you do. I did like it, even if it felt rushed.

    Nath ~ No question, Lizzie and Elric. They were my absolute favorite.