Life is too short to read a bad book.
Saturday, November 11, 2006,10:49 PM
Christmas Letters
Just Finished:




Why I Read It: It’s Debbie Macomber. And Christmas. Debbie writes wonderful Christmas Romances.

From the Back Cover: Katherine O'Connor often spends her days at a cozy cafe on Blossom Street in Seattle -- where she writes Christmas letters for other people. She's good at making their everyday lives sound more interesting. More humorous. More dramatic.

But for Dr. Wynn Jeffries, who also frequents the cafe, Christmas means lies and deception. In fact, the renowned child psychologist recommends that parents "Bury Santa Under the Sleigh." Katherine, however, feels that his parenting philosophy is one big mistake -- at least, based on her four-year-old twin nieces, who are being raised according to his "Free Child" methods.

She argues with Wynn about his theories, while he argues that her letters are nothing but lies. They disagree about practically everything -- and yet, somehow, they don't really want to stop arguing.

As the days -- and nights -- move closer to Christmas, Katherine and Wynn both discover that love means accepting your differences. And Christmas is about the things you share . . .


My Thoughts: Debbie Macomber creates some of the best Christmas romances I’ve ever read. Watching her characters come together is often like watching magic and is a terrific holiday gift for the reader. I haven’t read any of the other Blossom Street books yet, but if their stories are anything like this one I know I’m in for at treat.

Katherine (known as K.O) is in her late 20’s and has just graduated from college with a PR degree. She works as a Medical Transcriptionist and also writes Christmas letters on the side in order to have steady income. Wynn is a psychologist who’s first published book is very popular. Unfortunately, K.O. doesn’t agree with Wynn on his theories of child rearing and they butt heads often.

I’d say this is between a Good and a Very Good read ~ I enjoyed it very much and it was a quick weekend read. I’m looking forward to reading more of the Blossom Street series.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


18 Comments:


  • At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi Devonna! Nice to meet a fellow Montanan! What part of Montana do you live in? I between Lincoln and Great Falls.

    I have never read any of Debbie Macomber's books, but they look like something I would like. Do you recommend starting with this one?

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger Dev

    Jen ~ I'm a sap for holiday stories, so this may be a good one to start with. I've read most of hers and can't seem to let any of her stories go (I only keep the ones I know I'll read again). This one is part of a series, but you can read it without reading any of the others as far as I'm concerned. I haven't read any of the others in the series yet, either.

    I'm in southeastern Montana ~ I grew up in Hardin and only got a few miles away from home when I moved out :-) I did a short stint as a nanny in Southern CA, but other than that I've been here my whole life.

     
  • At 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Devonna, I haven't read any Macomber in a long while. I saw a series that involved a quilt shop I think that looked pretty good. Have you read any of it?

    Yeah, I remember that first angel book of hers that was at Christmas time when the aunt and her nieces and nephews stayed in an abandoned house and it was around Christmas time. Can't remember the title but the book has always stuck with me.

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Mailyn

    I wonder if they have Thanksgiving Romance. LOL. That would just be corny!

    :-P

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Well, I love Christmas period, so maybe I will check out some of these books!
    The worst snow storm I have ever been caught in was in Hardin! My sisters and I spent the night holed up in a hotel there watching TV because the roads were so bad. LOL That was a long time ago!

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger Dev

    Jen ~ There was a horrible blizzard there about 4 or 5 years ago. The interstates closed down, the hotels were all full ~ they opened up the school and the funeral homes so people had places to sleep. It was awful. Of course, I was there for Christmas and the next day they opened the interstates back up so I had to go home. They should have never opened the roads ~ it was like driving on a skating rink. Awful doesn't even describe it.

    Earlier this year we were in Hamilton visiting our father and barely missed a storm there ~ driving through the Butte pass was no fun whatsoever.

    Getting back to books ~ Debbie writes some great holiday romances. I've got Santa Baby (Crusie) requested at the library so hopefully I get to read that one soon.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Dev

    Rosie ~ I think the series you're thinking of may be the Blossom Street series ~ this book is part of that series. I'm trying to think of the book you described. I think there's two of her holiday books I haven't read yet ~ although I'm hoping to get to them soon. It almost seems like I should remember that one, but I'm drawing a blank.

    Mailyn ~ Corny? Are you trying to by punny? LOL :-)

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Ooh, I need to put this on my list of books to read, this sounds great! And what's wrong with finding love over Turkey and stuffing, I ask Mailyn? LMAO.

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Mailyn

    LMAO devonna!! Muahaha I didn't even realize it until you pointed it out. LOL.

    But OMG how seriously cheesy would that be??? Or how about an Easter Romance?!?!? Let me know if you see any. LOL.

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Mailyn

    LMAO D! I don't know how anyone can find Romance when trying to stuff their face. Shoot, I'm there for the pumpkin pie. If any man tries to get between me and my pie is murder! Murder I tell ya! :-P

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    There has to be a book out there with some serious hawtness over a turkey and pumpkin pie. There HAS to be!
    LOL!

    I love Christmas books too. I'll even admit I enjoy them more when there are Xmas babies involved. I don't care for babies at other times of the year in books but mix babies + santa + family + snow=Happy Sandie

    :D
    Sandie

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger Holly

    Hmm. I have several DM's on my shelf, but I've only read a few short stories. I think I might even have this one. I'll be checking it out for sure. :)

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Dev

    Mailyn ~ I'll keep a lookout for a Turkey Day romance just for you. Now, wouldn't it be funny if I found one?

    Sandie ~ I love Christmas romances. I pretty much only read them this time of year, but I've been known to crack one open when I just can't think of anything else to read.

    Holly ~ I think I have almost every DM out there. I go through phases and know I have several I haven't read yet. But, I do like her Christmas stories and it is that time of year :-)

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger Dev

    Dylan ~ Nothing's wrong with finding love over Turkey and Stuffing :-) I hope you like this one ~ it was a quick read and I enjoyed it.

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I ordered this DM book today from Amazon. Can't wait to get it - will let you know what I think when I have finished it. This author has written a ton of books! Is she one of your favs?

     
  • At 5:59 PM, Blogger Dev

    Jen ~ absolutely! I think I have most of hers. Her books aren't too deep ~ they're pretty light reading for the most part. She has a tendency to write light, heartwarming stories.

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Rowena

    LMAO, where would they fall in love at on Easter? In the backyard while they hide eggs?

    I've always wanted to fall in love over a plate of mashed potatoes and gravy and a mountain of stuffing to go with...haha.

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger Dev

    Hmm ~ Well I guess any man who will fall in love over a plate of food is one to keep. :-)