Life is too short to read a bad book.
Tuesday, October 24, 2006,7:03 PM
Top 10 Songs On My Playlist
Okay, so I got this from Holly's blog.

1. When I'm With You by Sheriff. When I was 18, I met a boy at a party. Actually, what I saw was a boy run out of the party, punch a tree, and then pass out and fall over the side of the patio. I thought he was stupid ~ maybe even a bit touched in the head. A few days later I met this guy with the most amazing blue eyes I'd ever seen and I was immediately smitten. The more I got to talking with this guy, the more I liked him. As we were talking, we were surprised that we'd both been at that party a few nights ago but had never met. Why? Because he was the stupid boy who got into a fight with a tree. Yes, he'd had a bit too much to drink that night. He was celebrating the fact that he would be leaving soon to go to basic training. He'd joined the Army and had only about a month until he left. I think we saw each other every day until the day he left. I cried for days ~ our timing just stunk. After basic training, he was back. But, I was leaving. I was going home for Christmas and then moving to California. We had a week to spend together. The night before I was supposed to leave we stayed up all night talking and in the morning before I left he wiped the tears from my eyes and gently kissed me goodbye. We wrote letters but eventually the letters stopped and we lost contact with each other. I've never seen him since. But, those first few months in California I would listen to this song over and over again. God, how I missed him. He's someone I think about often ~ wondering what might have happened if our timing had been better.

2. Tennessee Waltz by Eva Cassidy. This is my favorite version of this song. Eva Cassidy had such an amazing voice and it's a great loss that a woman this gifted should have died at such a young age from cancer. This was Dad's favorite song ~ I actually danced with him to this song at my uncle's wedding.

3. You Oughta Know by Alanis Morisette. I find myself singing this song a lot. Wonder why that is?

4. Copperhead Road by Steve Earle. This is just an awesome song. How can anyone not want to dance around when this song is playing?

5. I Run for Live by Melissa Etheridge. This song is just inspirational. Don't forget that October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. You can find more information here or here.

6. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning by Frank Sinatra. Big sigh. Love my Frankie.

7. Tennessee Flat Top Box by Johnny Cash. Okay, so when I do go out and when I actually have had too much to drink I will sing this at the karaoke bar. Maybe once a decade. It's just a fun song.

8. Walking after Midnight by Patsy Cline. C'mon ~ it's Patsy. No list is complete without one of her songs.

9. Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison. In music, I have four loves ~ Def Leppard, Patsy Cline, Frank Sinatra, and Van Morrison. Great song to two-step to.

10. Two Steps Behind by Def Leppard or Love Bites by Def Leppard. It's a tie. I've been in love with every single member of this band at some point. All of their songs are great. And I admit, I will crank their music and pretend I'm a teenager again. I have all of their CD's so I can be young again whenever I want to :-)

Labels:

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


13 Comments:


  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Isabel

    I love You Oughta Know. It's my man hating song. lol

     
  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger Rosie

    Wow, these are some goodies! I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra. My grandparents were first generation Italian immigrants and he and Joe DiMaggio are practically gods in the Italian culture. So I used to roll my eyes every time I heard his music. Now I think we have all his albums. He's great to have on during a dinner party.

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Holly

    OMG! I swear you're like my twin sister. #9? Yeah, sooo me. LOL I have Walkin After Midnight on my playlist, too (it's number 17, I think) and You Ain't Woman Enough, too. Love that song.

    Your number 1? Sorry, but that was me and the RB's song. It just doesn't work for me anymore, ya know? LOL

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger CindyS

    Awww, your first song. I was laughing too hard about the boy fighting with a tree. I'm all sad that the timing just didn't work.

    Copperhead Road - YUMMMMMMM. Glad you brought that one up, must download next chance I get!

    Cindy

     
  • At 8:35 AM, Blogger Dev

    Izzy ~ I do love this song. Jagged Little Pill was a great CD (okay, is a great CD). I like angry Alanis.

    Rosie ~ I watched a movie about Frank Sinatra on TV once and got hooked on the music. There is just some music that is timeless.

    Holly ~ I told you it was scary how much we had in common :-) You Ain't Woman Enough is a great song too. Loretta Lynn wrote some wonderful tunes. I like I'm Back in Baby's Arms also.

    Cindy ~ Holly posted a "What Might Have Been" post a few weeks ago ~ has made me all nostalgic for the boy in #1. Copperhead Road just makes me happy ~ I just have to dance when I hear it :-)

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Lori

    OMG - Sheriff! There's a one-hit wonder! But definitely one of those somgs that takes you back - I think I have slow danced to that song with Bob at every wedding I have gone to in the last 22 years LOL.

    I think I'll post up my top 10. Work really interferes with my blogging, ya know? Sheesh!

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    I LOVE (wish I could figure out how do do bold and big cause that's what I'm thinking) Copperhead Road!!!! I have a CD that I bought dirt cheap just cause that song was on it and I play it over and over and over!!!!
    And as for your #1 song - have you ever tried to find him again? That could make a great romance story.

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    Following up to Copperhead Road - I've had this CD for a few years now and after thinking of it, I put it on to do housework and believe it or not - this is the first time I've played the whole thing. There are a number of good songs! And I never knew that until today. *d'oh* time!!

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger Dev

    Lori ~ Tell me about it (work). I have this song on one of my Power Ballad CD's (I think I have 3 or 4). I've been listening to it a lot lately :-)

    Kristie ~ I've done a search for him and he's back to living pretty close to home. I'll actually be heading that way next summer for my mom's traveling birthday party and I've sometimes thought about trying to look him up. His phone number's listed, but I haven't called it. Last I heard, he was married (he met someone in Germany when he was stationed there). But wouldn't it be something if he was single, and I was single, and we reunited next summer? I've thought about it. A lot. Too much, probably. Like I said, he's my "what might have been" guy.

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Jenster

    What fun!

    I remember singing "Tennessee Waltz" with my mom when I was little. :o)

    "I Run for Life" overwhelms me to the point of tears every time I hear it. I went through the same thing a little while after Melissa Ethridge did.

    When I was up with my babies in the middle of the night I used to sing "Walking After Midnight" as we walked up and down the hall.

    "Brown Eyed Girl" used to be DH's song for me until my daughter came along. I always thought of my eyes as diarrhea brown (brownish-green), but DD's eyes are true brown.

    Okay. That's all I've got to say about that.

    Jen

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Dev

    Jen ~ That's so funny that you mention diarrhea eyes ~ I always told my niece that was the color of her eyes because you could see flecks of every color in them. BTW ~ I don't anymore. She's a teenager now and that's hard enough without having your crazy aunt calling you "Diarrhea eyes". I also cry when I hear Melissa Etheridge singing "I Run for Live" It's just amazing, isn't it?

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    Devonna: LOL for a moment there I thought you meant Steve Earle! Then I realized you meant The Guy. That would be something wouldn't it!! You should do it!!! Unless of course this musical evening turns out well :) Even still though, it would be interesting to connect again!

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Dev

    Kristie ~ It would be something. It's definitely something to think about anyway. And I have lots of time to get myself all worked up over it ~ Mom's traveling birthday is in July.