Life is too short to read a bad book.
Friday, October 12, 2007,8:00 AM
Remembering Dad
I was eight years old when I met the man I would call “Dad”. Looking back, I can’t remember the meeting as a remarkable turning point in my life, but as I sat on the ragged couch of our tiny living room next to my younger sister and stared at the little man with balding black hair and kind green eyes I somehow knew that my life would never be the same. His name was Dan and eventually we would come to know him simply as “Dad”, but due to a small hearing problem, he would never know the difference until years later.

I can’t imagine how it must have been for him, dating a single woman with two rambunctious daughters who fought worse than Cain and Abel ever could have. He himself had three children, but they were fully-grown before he’d ever met our little family. But for whatever misgivings he must have had about us, he made peace with them and five years later on June 13, 1982 he married my mother in a small, beautiful ceremony with family and friends present at the dinner club that he would own and manage with Mom by his side.

My teen years flew by in a sea of rebellion and temperament, because no matter how much I loved my mother and her husband, I had never gotten over the fact that I had never earned my biological father’s love. This led to many heartwrenching fights with my mother, my sister and even Dan, who was quite possibly my strongest supporter while I was growing up. For it was Dan who argued with my mom for days in order to get her talked in to letting me get my driver’s license at the age of 16; it was Dan who rode around in the passenger seat of my Renault LeCar as I learned to shift the gears of its manual transmission, it was Dan I celebrated my birthdays, holidays and other milestones with. The very definition of what a Dad should be was wrapped up in this tiny man that we knew as Dan.

It was at that point that I realized that no matter how much I yearned and craved for my biological father’s approval, it wasn’t genetics that made a good parent, it was kindness, it was affection and most of all, it was love -- all of these I’d always had from the man whom from that point on I would call “Dad”. A few months later, I’d graduated from high school and Mom and Dad were throwing me a reception in the same dinner club where they had married only a few years earlier.

It would be six years before Dan heard me call him “Dad” for the first time, or at least before he realized that I called him “Dad”. I had gone home for the weekend to visit and Dad had volunteered to drive me the short hour’s distance to my house. Upon returning me to my residence I had given him a hug and in his good ear I had said “I love you, Dad.” That night, my mom called me and said that when Dad got home, he’d had tears in his eyes. “Babe,” he’d said, “she called me Dad.”

Shortly after that visit, on Labor Day weekend of 1993 Dad was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a cancer of the blood similar to Leukemia. He was immediately transported to the VA hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah and was on a constant strain of medication and dialysis. For the next few months, Mom, my sister, my stepsister, my two stepbrothers and I traveled back and forth from Montana to Utah so that he constantly had family by his side. The diagnosis was grim and we knew that we didn't have much longer with him. It was a roller coaster of emotions, sometimes up, sometimes down and you never knew what the day would bring. I'd gotten to the habit of sleeping on the couch so that I would be sure to hear the phone ring if something happened.

Eventually he was able to come back to Montana and was cared for at the local hospitals and nursing homes. That Christmas was spent in the employee lounge of Deaconess hospital, which was so generously given to us to use by his many doctors and nurses. By February, he was allowed to come home due to the outpouring of wonderful neighbors and friends who had volunteered to care for him, as his condition had to be continuously monitored. By March, he was back in the hospital, but he would still greet me with a cheery “There’s my girl!” when I’d come to visit him.

When Dad decided he'd had enough dialysis, each member of my family took turns spending the night at the hospital with him. My last night with him was March 24, 1994 - even though he was catatonic he squeezed my hand. The next night, my mom stayed with him and he passed away the morning of March 26 with Mom by his side, just like he wanted.

What I remember most about the funeral were the people. Dad's service was standing room only ~ he was a kind man and loved by everyone, it seemed. I remember sitting in the family room and seeing the people come to pay their respects. Paying tribute to the man he was. In the limo ride to the graveside service, I remember looking out on the street and seeing the people. There were people saluting the car, there were people waving and they were everywhere. On the sidewalk. On the street. I mean, not only was this man an amazing gift to my life and my family's life ~ but he'd touched the hearts of so many others.

After the funeral and spending a week with relatives, I returned home and tried to get back to life "as normal". A month went by, but I still slept on the couch because that's the habit I had gotten used to while Dad was in the hospital and in a funny way I felt a tiny connection to him that way. But every night I sobbed, agonizing over the loss of my dad and the things he'd never be able to share in my life.

One night I was laying, my face towards the back of the couch crying so hard I could barely breath. I felt Dad sit on the edge of the couch and start rubbing my back. "It's going to be ok," he said. "You're going to be all right. I'm ok. I'm ok." I wouldn't turn around for fear that he would go - I laid with my face buried in the couch while he rubbed my back. Then he was gone.

Call it imagination - call it a daughter's wish to have one last conversation with her dad. But after that night, I didn't feel the need to cry. I felt ok, and more importantly I felt like my Dad was ok. And I didn't feel the need to sleep on the couch again.

~~Happy Birthday, Dad. I love you and miss you every day.

Labels:

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


22 Comments:


  • At 10:50 PM, Blogger Lori

    Devonna, this is such a beautiful tribute. I lost my dad two years ago, and I miss him every day, too. Somehow, our dads are so important to us girls, and they just make our lives so wonderful.

    Dan was even more special because he chose to be your dad. You are a very lucky girl.

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger Marg

    I agree, definitely a beautiful tribute...made me cry, and think about calling my dad even though we aren't close at all.

     
  • At 2:08 AM, Blogger Rosie

    I'm just crying my eyes out. How eloquent you are sharing your feelings about your Dad!

    I lost my Mom two years ago. I miss her every day.

     
  • At 2:38 AM, Blogger CindyS

    Devonna - what a wonderful way to share your dad with us! I hope today finds you holding your memories of him close to your heart.

    Cindy

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger Jenster

    Oh wow, Devonna. That was heartwrenchingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing such a personal and wonderful tribute.

    Jen

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger Dev

    He was definitely a special man. He and Mom were so perfect together and I remember a lot of times catching them dancing in the kitchen. There was no music, but they danced like there was no one else in the room.

    Now, my grandparents on my Father's side didn't have much to do with my Father after he and Mom got divorced. But, they sure loved my Dad. He was pretty much adopted right into the clan and they sat with the family at Dad's funeral.

     
  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    That was beautiful and deeply, deeply moving.

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Blogger Dev

    He would have been 73 today ~ It's just so hard for me to imagine. He'd barely turned 60 before he passed away.

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Holly

    Oh my goodness, Devonna. What an amazingly beautiful tribute. Tears are still falling down my cheeks. The story of me and my step-father is almost the same as yours, though my dad, thankfully, is alive and very healthy. I can't imagine my life without him, and I'm so sorry you have to.

    ((((((((DEVONNA)))))))

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Dev

    Let's see ~ other tidbits about my dad. He loved peanut M&M's and Coke. He'd live off of them if he could. He wouldn't eat anything green (no vegetables, except for potatoes and corn). He loved burnt toast ~ So black it would almost disintegrate. He made the world's best clam chowder (I've never had better) and I've never eaten a club sandwich that tasted better than the ones he made.

    On Sundays our family would go for drives ~ we'd just pile in the car and go somewhere. We'd drive for hours, stop and get something to eat, and then drive home. I still love to go for drives like that. No direction whatsoever. Just drive.

     
  • At 6:53 AM, Blogger Kookie

    Absolutely beautiful, Dev...I'm crying here 'cause I just can't imagine life without my father.

    Hugs, girl! :o)

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Stacy~

    Wow Devonna, that was an amazing tribute. Just beautiful. He really was your dad. He sounded like a really special person. Thank you for sharing.

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Blogger Dev

    Thanks so much to everyone who stopped by to read about my dad. He was indeed a special person. Usually if I need a safe place or just need a place where know I'll be at peace, I go to Dad's grave. It's quiet there and I just talk to him for hours.

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Noneya

    Wishing you peace on this anniversary.

    Very moving story, thank you for sharing.

    Sandie

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Wendy

    Oh that was just lovely! What a beautiful tribute!

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    Sounds like you had a wonderful relationship. Thank kind of love never goes away. And I believe that the people we love who have left us, do somehow manage to still be a real part of us, even in death.

     
  • At 9:30 PM, Blogger Isabel

    That was so sweet. I have tears. ((((((hugs)))))

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger Dev

    Sandie ~ Thanks for stopping by!

    Wendy ~ Thank you. He was a wonderful guy.

    Kristie ~ I believe that too. I feel better knowing he's watching out for me in a better place.

    Izzy ~ Thanks. :D

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger Colleen Gleason

    Dev, that was so beautiful. You were very lucky to have him, but he was also so very lucky to have you.

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Dev

    Colleen ~ Thank you! He was truly a very special man. I'm a better person for having had him in my life.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Jodi_Lee

    Amazing! Amazing! Amazing! Happy birthday Dan...Dad. What a beautiful story and beautifully written, as well.

     
  • At 8:09 PM, Blogger Dev

    Jodi ~ Thank you! I'm glad you popped by :D