Life is too short to read a bad book.
Monday, February 23, 2009,4:38 PM
My Library
Well, I think I'm done. I wish I could show you a picture of the whole thing, but the angle of the room makes it almost impossible to get the whole thing on camera. I've done my best though!!!

This is what I started with (well, technically this is what I started with after I painted):











Then I added my books:


Then I had to clean out some of my books, which I either posted on PBS and/or donated to the library (you have to imagine several of these to get the full effect):


Which brings me to the final product:

I have to say, it's my favorite room in the house now. I still don't have as much shelf space as I initially planned on, but it works. I had to double up my books, so I have two rows on each shelf, but at least they're organized, alphabetized (yes, I'm that girl), and taken out of their respective boxes. And even if it didn't turn out exactly perfect, it's still a far cry better than this:

Labels: ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


15 Comments:


  • At 11:46 PM, Blogger Rosie

    This is why an e-reader, however awesome and convenient cannot replace the feeling of seeing all those colors on the covers and books that you loved all standing and staring at you in one place.

    It looks great Dev.

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Blogger KT Grant

    Love your shelves!
    I can't believe I get all tingly over bookshelves. O_O

     
  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger Kara

    BEAUTIFUL!! I can see what this is the favorite room in your house - it would be mine too.

    Wonderful job!!

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Blogger nath

    It looks awesome!!! and boy, isn't shelves space always a problem for us! However, you did a beautiful job and I'm sure you're really happy about it! and LOL, it is better than the drawer!

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I love your shelves, too! They look awesome. :) I have a den/library also and it's my favorite room in the house, too. It's just so relaxing, being surrounded by all those books.

    I love it. :)

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Holly

    Also, I forgot to say..I really like that blue.

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Wendy

    OMG - You alphabetized? Even I don't go that far. I tend to sort my books by "type." All my historicals together, all my contemps together etc.

    Sigh, I also had to double-shelve my books. In fact, I'm running out of room. Again. I'm thinking it might be time for another weed/purge.

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Lori

    So jealous. It looks awesome, Dev! It makes me want to dump all of Bob's musical gear so I can have my office back to myself and have me a library, too. Buh-bye studio, hello library. *dreaming*

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Dev

    Thanks all! My next thing will be to get a big cushy chair that I can curl up in. Since this room is right off my deck, I think that will be perfect!! Can you just imagine, the back door open with the fresh scent of the soft rain outside, curled up in a big cushy chair with a lap blanket, a cup of hot tea, and a good book??

    Heaven!

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger JenB

    Ooooooh, pretty! I love looking at books. :)

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Jenster

    That is so nice!!! *jealous*

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    Ooooohh Very, very nice. Isn't it nice to have them up and so very available? And you are way ahead of me!! I still have to alphabetize mine.

     
  • At 4:52 AM, Blogger Unknown

    So pretty. I love looking at all those books.

    2/25/09

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger Alyce

    It's beautiful! I've been trying to talk my husband into buying "just one more" bookcase, but I think he knows me too well. I'm sure no matter how many shelves I have I will probably always need just one more.

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Blogger CindyS

    It's gorgeous! I love the blue on the walls also and the two tones of wood. I was wondering where that door went and to a back deck is perfect!

    That's a lot of work accomplished - now go and enjoy!

    CindyS