Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, October 26, 2008,6:41 PM
The Seduction of His Wife by Janet Chapman
Just Finished:

Synopsis: He set out to seduce her for all the wrong reasons -- but found himself falling in love with her for all the right ones.

Alex Knight is dead -- or so everyone thinks. A widowed logger baron with a risk-taking streak, he took on a South American engineering project and was reported dead after a rebel attack. So when he turns up back in Maine very much alive, his grieving family is shocked. But the biggest shock is Alex's, when he discovers he's now married -- to a woman he's never met.

Sarah Banks is ready for a change from running a quiet Bed & Breakfast, and working for the Knight family offers not only a bigger opportunity, but also the family life she yearns for. So she's glad to help secure custody of Alex's orphaned children, whom she's come to love, by marrying their father by proxy before he's legally declared dead. But when Alex returns, the sexy, determined woodsman upends all of Sarah's plans. Because suddenly she's married to a passionate stranger with an easy smile...and tumbling headlong into a fiery dance of seduction.


My Thoughts: I don’t think I’ve ever read a story before where the hero was presumed dead and comes home to find himself married to a woman he’s never met. I’m sure there may be more books like this out there, but I’ve never read them. So, I was interested in how JC was going to pull this unbelievable theme off. But then I started reading and from Sarah and Alex’s first meeting I was hooked. They had unbelievable chemistry right from the start that just continued to grow as the book went on.

Then there is the rest of the Knight family: Grady, the matchmaking schemer of a patriarch; Ethan, the gun-shy middle brother; and Paul, the youngest brother, a flirtatious lady’s man who is never at a loss for a date; and Tucker & Delaney, Alex’s children that Sarah adopted when she believed him to be dead. There are also the two side characters: John Tate, the local sheriff and Daniel Reed, the local Fish & Game Warden. I can only hope that they will all eventually get their own stories.

Alex was an awesome hero. I love how he and Sarah would try to best each other by coming to the rescue of each other, all ideas they each got by reading Sarah’s romance books. It was just hilarious. I had several laugh out loud moments as the two continuously tried to one-up each other throughout almost the whole length of the book.

Verdict: This was Very Good. I didn’t want this story to end. I got sucked in to the world of the Knight family and their Maine home from the very beginning and could not put the book down. I am anxiously looking forward to reading Ethan’s story, The Stranger in Her Bed, and sincerely hope that Ms. Chapman finishes this series.

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


14 Comments:


  • At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Ooh, you've sold me on this book. Very interesting plot. The way they try to best each other sounds funny, lol

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I loooooved this book. Ethan's story was a bummer, though :(

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger Dev

    Ali ~ I loved it! Started it yesterday and couldn't stop. I hope you enjoy it!!

    Chantal ~ Oh no! Don't say that ~ I'm on page 50 of Ethan's story now.

     
  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger Lori

    I loved this one, too!

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Dev

    Lori ~ I'm trying to tackle my TBR. Slowly. One book at a time :-)

     
  • At 7:00 AM, Blogger nath

    Hmmm, I've seen this book around and kept picking it up and putting it down... I guess I'll have to give it a try :)

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ It's really good. I'm almost halfway through the follow-up book now and like it so far. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop though because Chantal didn't like it.

     
  • At 10:47 PM, Blogger ~ames~

    I have this book in my tbr pile, but I don't know, I have a thing against logger books. LOL I read one back in my early days and it was just awful. Of course I can't remember it, but it's always put me off logger men.

    But I was willing to take a chance on this book, and I will one day. LOL

     
  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger Dev

    Ames ~ I hope you do! It really is good and it doesn't focus on the logger theme hardly at all.

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Rowena

    I loved this book! I, for one really enjoyed Ethan's book but not a lot of people did. I can't wait to see your thoughts on it!

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Dev

    Wena ~ So far, I'm really enjoying Ethan's book. I'm halfway through it now and hope to finish it tonight!

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger Amy C

    I just started reading Janet Chapman last month. I'm reading her second Highlander novel now...Loving the Highlander. She's a wonderful writer. After reading the first one, I had to buy the remaining 5 :). Maybe I should venture into her others. This one you reviewed sounds really great :).

     
  • At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey, girl, did you finish Ethan's book?

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger Dev

    Amy ~ I have her entire Highlander series, I just haven't read them yet. One day (soon!), hopefully :-)

    Chantal ~ I did. I think I liked it better than you did :-)