Life is too short to read a bad book.
Friday, October 10, 2008,11:37 AM
A Conversation w/ Mom
So, Mom called me last tonight to see how I'm coming on the packing. (Note: Not well. I get sidetracked easy). The conversation went pretty much like this:

Mom: Are you packing?
Me: Yup (Lying through my teeth)
Mom: How's it coming?
Me: It's coming. I'll do more this weekend (Okay, that's the truth as far as I know).
Mom: Well, you can pack up lots of stuff now. Pack up your makeup you're not using. What about your dishes? Or you can start on your books.....
Me: I'm not packing my books yet. I don't know what I'm going to read between now and then.
Mom: **silence**

**brief pause**

Me: I bought myself a congratulations present.
Mom: Really?! (Excited) What'd you get.
Me: An Ebookwise-1150 Ereader (Really excited!!!)
Mom: A what?
Me: An ereader. So I can download books off the internet and read them. It's better than reading off the computer.
Mom: Oh. I suppose that's better than keeping all those books you've got. It'll save you a lot of room.
Me: Oh no. I'm keeping those too.
Mom: **click**

Mom's just not a reader...........

Labels: ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


12 Comments:


  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Holly

    Aww, how sad. She actually wants you to get rid of books? ::stares::

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Dev

    Holly ~ She honestly knows better. She's just not a reader.

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger Lori

    Laughing... and the ebookwise? Very wise investment.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Dev

    Lori ~ She's a nut. I'm excited about my ereader. Thanks to Holly, I've got it figured out now. I've got about 25 books downloaded on it now. I've got some reading to do!

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger CindyS

    Did I tell you my parents bought me a book called 'Decorating With Books'. I think they've given up on getting me to pare them down. They even helped to move them but then I had those small boxes so they weren't heavy - just lots and lots and lots of them ;)

    Cindys

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Dev

    Cindy ~ Sounds about like where I'm at. She'll accept it eventually :-) I packed my TBR pile tonight ~ just the pile that was in my living room. 10 boxes. Doesn't include the linen closet. I'm scared of how many boxes that's going to fill.

     
  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger Stacy~

    Wow, I just cannot relate much to someone who doesn't love books. I think an ereader is a great way to celebrate your move. Have fun w/ it :)

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Blogger Dev

    Stacy ~ There aren't a lot of readers in my family. Me and my niece. That's it. Mom will call me when she's actually read a book. Sister will read maybe once a year.

     
  • At 10:29 PM, Blogger Rosie

    I was lucky because my Mom was a reader. GG is tolerant. However, when most people see our "office" with all the books and bookshelves they think I'm nuts.

    Thank God for my online friends who 'get' it.

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger Dev

    Rosie ~ Amen to that! Seriously, if I didn't have you guys...well, for one my TBR pile wouldn't be nearly as big, and for two who would I rave about all my good reads to?

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger nath

    LOL, I laughed so much when reading this :) I can see having a similar conversation with my mother in the future!!

     
  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ You'll have to tell me when it happens. Seriously. My mom just doesn't understand my love of books.