Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, September 28, 2008,1:21 PM
Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas
Just Finished:

Synopsis: THEIR LIVES DEFY CONVENTION.
When an unexpected inheritance elevates her family to the ranks of the aristocracy, Amelia Hathaway discovers that tending to her younger sisters and wayward brother was easy compared to navigating the intricacies of the ton. Even more challenging: the attraction she feels for the tall, dark, and dangerously handsome Cam Rohan.

THEIR DESIRE CONSUMES THEM BOTH…
Wealthy beyond most men’s dreams, Cam has tired of society’s petty restrictions and longs to return to his “uncivilized” Gypsy roots. When the delectable Amelia appeals to him for help, he intends to offer only friendship—but intentions are no match for the desire that blindsides them both. But can a man who spurns tradition be tempted into that most time-honored arrangement: marriage? Life in London society is about to get a whole lot hotter….


My Thoughts: I cannot believe that Cam and Amelia’s story has been languishing in my TBR pile for almost a year. I should be banned from the romance reading community for this one.

That being said, I’ve been anxious for Cam’s story since Devil in Winter when he stole a kiss from Daisy. In fact, I bought this book the day it came out. Just shameful, I know.

I enjoyed Cam and Amelia’s first meeting. How he went out of his way to try to help her look for her brother, and then when Leo was found he kissed her goodbye with every intention of never seeing her again. And how sweet was it that he stole one of her ribbons from her bonnet? I was already hooked, but that right there sealed it for me.

But they did meet again on several occasions and each time they met the attraction grew, and I as the reader became more and more submerged in the story. And then came the turning point, as I rooted “He’s got to go back to her!”

I absolutely loved this story. I enjoyed Amelia and how protective she is of her family. In fact, I enjoyed the whole Hathaway clan and cannot wait for each of their stories. I cannot wait to see what LK has conjured up for each of them: Win, who’s health was affected by a bout of fever ~ who isn’t rooting for her and Kev after they almost stole the show in MtM???; Poppy, I cannot wait to get to know her better; Beatrix, still so immature and I know LK has a great story planned for her (she said so over at Book Smugglers this week); and Leo, I cannot wait to see how LK redeems his character after this one.

As if it weren’t enough to have such a great story between Amelia and Cam, I got to see the Wallflowers again. Lillian, Evie, Saint and Lord Westcliff all got some time in this novel so I felt I was able to catch up on their stories; and Annabelle, Simon, Daisy, and Matthew were all mentioned! That in itself is enough of a reason to read this for those of use die-hard Wallflower fans.

The one thing I probably loved the most is Amelia didn’t automatically give up her independence. Cam actually had to work pretty hard to convince her that they were meant to be together. Her resistance and his determination kept me turning each page until the very end.

Verdict: The story was Excellent. Of course, I really expect nothing less of LK by now and cannot wait to read Seduce Me at Sunrise.

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


17 Comments:


  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Lori

    So glad you finally read this! I have SMAS on its way from Amazon... can't wait to read it!

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger Dev

    Lori ~ I'm stopping by Walmart on my way to class on Tuesday just to pick this (and the new JQ) up! Can't wait to read it.

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger ~ames~

    I bought this the day it came out and haven't read it yet either.

    Shame on me!! LOL

    Sounds good, I'm going to get to it soon-I promise!

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Dev

    Ames ~ Better hurry. SMAS comes out on Tuesday :-) The pressure's on....

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger ~ames~

    I know I know!!

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Dev

    Ames ~ I figured as much. Trust me, when you start you're not going to want to stop. I love Cam and Amelia, and there's a whole side issue going on with Win and Kev which is why I'm so excited for their story on Tuesday. Can't wait to read it.

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger Isabel

    I really liked this one. I read it a month or so ago. I pre ordered my copy of the SMAS. I can't wait to read Win and Kev's story.

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger Dev

    Izzy ~ Me too!! I'll probably be reading SMAS as soon as I get it. I really want to read Win and Kev's story.

     
  • At 5:21 AM, Blogger nath

    The really good news is that you don't have to wait for months before reading book 2 right? :P So no, you shouldn't be banned from the community!! :) Glad you enjoyed, I liked it too... but I don't know, Amelia was missing something...

     
  • At 6:03 AM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    I read Seduce Me At Sunrise (duo reviews and a chat to be posted sometime today - as soon as Katie shoots me her review) and then read Seduce Me At Sunrise again and now I'm rereading Mine Till Midnight just so I can see them all again. I loved MTM when I first read it but I'm REALLY loving it this time round.

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ Really? See, I liked Amelia. In a funny way, she reminded me a little bit of Lillian.

    Kristie ~ I could probably read this one over and over again. Now, I heard a nasty rumor that you are now enamored with Kev has replaced Derek as your number one Kleypas hero.

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Blogger Rowena

    I didn't know that you hadn't read this one yet, ooh I love this book and I totally heart Cam! I can't wait for Beatrix's story and to see what LK has planned for Leo as well.

    Great review sweetie!

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Dev

    Wena ~ I can't believe this gem sat languishing in my TBR pile for so long. I don't let LK books sit that long, EVER. She and JQ I must read right away.

    I'm interested to see what she does with Beatrix also. Win's book takes place two years later, so I'm sure she's grown since MTM. I didn't feel like I got to know Poppy very well in MTM, so I'm looking forward to learning more about her in SMAS. Leo, I just hope he's healed since MTM and is ready to move on.

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    LOL - he hasn't replaced - he's sharing the first place podium now :)

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Dev

    Kristie ~ Threesome, hmm??

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Rosie

    I have SMAS and can't wait to get to it. You've also made me nostalgic for Cheryl St. John. I still have the Christmas anthology from LAST year that Wendy raved about to read.

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger Dev

    Oh yeah, Rosie came out to play!!! I'm halfway through SMAS now. I also have CSJ's anthology from last year languishing in my TBR pile. I'm not sure when I'm going to get to it ~ I'll be moving soon and will need a few weeks to get settled.