Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, August 24, 2008,9:17 AM
You Know You're Addicted When.......................
You walk through Target taking pictures of book covers, so that you can rush home to check your library's website to see if they have them.

Yesterday, Kiddo and I did a little date day. We went to the library (I bought 8 friends of the library books ~ $2.00), we went for gelato, and then we went to Target so kiddo could see if the keyboard she wanted was still there (it was). While we were there, I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to go to the book section to see what was there. As I was browsing, I made the comment that I wish I had a pen and paper, so I could write the titles down and check the library when I got home. Kiddo said that my phone had a notepad and I could text it (ps - not a big fan of the texting thing. It takes me forever.). Kiddo offered to text for me, but then the lightbulb went off ~ I have a camera phone!! So I told her I would just take pictures of the covers and then look them up when I got home. PS ~ Kiddo didn't stick around. I think she was 2 or 3 aisles over.

Kiddo made the remark that she didn't know why I was looking at books anyway because I'm not reading the ones I have (she's right). I told her that you never knew when you had the time to read a good book and I liked to have options. Kiddo then said she thought I had about 800 books; I told her I thought it was more like 749 (semantics, anyone???).

We were both wrong.

I checked my librarything account today.

940 books owned, not including the pile on my living room floor that I haven't cataloged yet.

585 of these books are in my tbr pile.

82 of these books are in my TBR Challenge pile (books I really want to read by the end of the year ~ and PS, I think I started the year with 84 books in this pile. What can I say ~ I get distracted.).

I have pictures. I should really post them sometime. I really have run out of room. If I ever disappear, my family knows that they'll be able to find my body buried underneath the stacks in my living room.

That being said ~ it's almost October! The new Julia Quinn and Lisa Kleypas will be released then, and then in November the new Robyn Carr books will be out. I'm saving room at the top of my TBR pile. I think I'll have some time to read around Christmas.

Labels: ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger Isabel

    That's alot of books!! I don't like texting either. Take forever and i'd rather just call the person.

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Dev

    Izzy ~ I completely agree! The only reason I have a texting plan is because kiddo texts, a lot. If I didn't have a text plan, I'd go broke.

     
  • At 5:13 AM, Blogger Stacy~

    Oh yeah hate texting. I'll call and get it over with much quicker.

    Dev, I was at a UBS this weekend and bought books I already have because I love them so much and wanted an extra copy. Now that's love and addiction for ya right there...

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Dev

    Stacy ~ I did that too! I bought a new copy of Mr. Perfect because the one I have is in terrible shape (bought it at a friends of the library sale).

    All-in-all, it's a great addiction to have.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger nath

    LOL, I think my situation is a bit like yours... by the way, if you're moving closer to the university, does that mean you have to pack?

    and camera is much better and faster right? :)

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ If I get housing I'll be moving on-campus at work, which is in the opposite direction of the college. Yes, I'll have to pack and already I think I'm volunteering my best friend's husband and her son to load those for me :-)

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Oh wow, I've never thought about taking pictures of the covers so that I don't forget anything, thanks for that little tidbit. I'm gonna do that the next time I'm at the bookstore (or Target) haha.

    I'm addicted to books too, my TBR shelf is piled up and books are falling out but that hasn't stopped me from adding to it though, ugh.

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Dev

    Wena ~ I know I'm in good company when it comes to my addiction :-)

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger nath

    I hope you get it! and LOL, good luck :) Great thing about the books though is that they are easy to pack :)