Life is too short to read a bad book.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008,8:32 PM
The Sparkling One by Susan Mallery
Just Finished:


Synopsis: A party planner extraordinaire, Katie Marcelli loves her big, boisterous family -- even when their chronic matchmaking drives her crazy! In the Marcelli household, fine wine and good food are as celebrated as true love, so when her eighteen-year-old sister announces her engagement, Katie promises her the perfect wedding. There's only one hitch: the father of the groom, Zach Stryker, who is adamantly opposed to his son marrying so young. Now, despite her instant attraction to the handsome, arrogant attorney, Katie must approach with caution: Zach, who hired Katie for a major fundraiser, holds the fate of her business in his hands -- and how can she trust a man who is willing to break her sister's heart? It will take a passionate battle of wills to determine if wedding bells will ring for a Marcelli bride, and to unlock the deepest desires -- for family, love, and home -- inside a strong-willed man's heart.

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this story. I’ve had the Marcelli books in my stacks for quite awhile now, but after talking to Nath and Anne over at Anne’s blog, I was motivated to whip these out and start reading them. And can I just say, I had an uber-crush on Zach from the very beginning???

This book is not only about Katie and Zach, but also encompasses the entire Marcelli Irish-Italian clan. I enjoyed the family aspect of the story, and I think SM did a wonderful job of world building for the future Marcelli books. I enjoyed Francesca, Brenna, and Mia almost as much as I did Katie and Zach (notice I said almost). Did I enjoy the grandfather, Lorenzo’s, male chauvinistic views?? No. Not so much, but it gives great groundwork for Brenna’s story and I can’t wait to see how she resolves this conflict.

As far as the much coveted ILY, I thought it came too soon. I was just starting to actually believe in Zach and Katie as a couple and then in the last two pages, it was over. I wouldn't have minded if the story would have been a little longer, but I suppose 326 pages is long enough. I have no suggestions on what could have made this better. It's just my opinion.

Verdict: This was Very Good. This was a wonderful starter book for the series and I’m looking forward to reading the rest soon (hopefully).

Labels: , , , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger nath

    This one, I haven't read. Can't find it... I'm also a bit apprehensive about the fact that Zack is much (?) older... but glad to hear it's good :)

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ Zach isn't much older, I think maybe 7 years. Circumstances caused him to be a father at a young age. I hope you can find this, because it really is good.

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger nath

    Oh okay, so this isn't so bad... cos for some reason, I really felt like he was much older ^_^;