Life is too short to read a bad book.
Saturday, August 09, 2008,10:32 PM
The Sassy One by Susan Mallery
Just Finished:

Synopsis: Francesca Marcelli married at eighteen -- right on schedule, according to her warm, colorful family, who have always said a beauty like Francesca need never worry about finding love. But a few years later, finding herself on her own with a wide open future ahead of her, she pursues her educational passions -- with a risky experiment that takes her straight into the arms of playboy CEO Sam Reese. Delighted by Francesca's interest in a no-strings relationship, Sam suddenly finds himself needing her outside the bedroom when a secret from his past lands on his doorstep. But Francesca soon has a secret of her own to tell -- a bombshell that will force the diehard bachelor to show his true colors. Are there "I do"s in Sam and Francesca's future? Only if she can persuade him that home truly is where the heart finds happiness.

My Thoughts: The second book in the Marcelli series is a great way to spend a day. I enjoyed Francesca and Sam’s relationship, starting from the unusual way they met. And of course, the writing’s on the wall as soon as they agree to have sex with no strings. They soon formed a friendship that turned into a relationship, unbeknownst to them.

The only thing I couldn’t forgive about the book and something that still bugs me is how Kelly (Sam’s secret daughter) traveled to Santa Barbara from New York. The 12-year-old girl ran right up to the counter, late for the flight and they let her right on??? No ID? No parent? A child claiming to be 15 and they didn’t question it? The way airport security is now? That was a stickler for me and still bugs me.

Okay, maybe a second thing bugged me a bit too. The use of the word “panties”. Maybe it’s a regional thing, I don’t know. But I don’t think grown women wear panties, do they? Underwear? Yes. Lingerie? Yes. Panties? Again, maybe it’s just a regional thing. But that left me with a bit of an ick factor.

Verdict: This was Good. Mallery’s writing is very good in this one, I just couldn’t get past the few things that bugged me. All in all, though, I did enjoy the read and was happy to spend some time with my favorite Irish-Italian family again.

Labels: , , , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger Holly

    I read this one the weekend MM and I went to Laughlin to scout it out as a possible place to host our wedding, so I kind of feel a special attachment to it. Weird, huh?

    I do agree with you on all counts, though. The story itself was sweet, though it did have some flaws.

    Oddly enough, I never read any of the other Marcelli books. I should probably do that.

    Good review, babe.