Life is too short to read a bad book.
Saturday, April 12, 2008,10:18 PM
Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas
Just Finished:



Synopsis: SHE’S FROM THE WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS

Liberty Jones has dreams and determination that will take her far away from Welcome, Texas---if she can keep her wild heart from ruling her mind. Hardy Cates sees Liberty as completely off-limits. His own ambitions are bigger than Welcome, and Liberty Jones is a complication he doesn’t need. But something magical and potent draws them to each other, in a dangerous attraction that is stronger than both of them.

HE’S THE ONE MAN SHE CAN’T HAVE

When Hardy leaves town to pursue his plans, Liberty finds herself alone with a young sister to raise. Soon Liberty finds herself under the spell of a billionaire tycoon---a Sugar Daddy, one might say. But the relationship goes deeper than people think, and Liberty begins to discover secrets about her own family’s past.

WILL THEY FIND THEIR HEARTS’ DESIRES OR WILL HEARTBREAK TEAR THEM APART?

Two men. One woman. A choice that can make her or break her. A woman you’ll root for every step of the way. A love story you’ll never forget.


My Thoughts: It’s been awhile since a book grabbed me and wouldn’t let me go until I finished reading it from beginning to end. I opened up Sugar Daddy last night and before I knew it, I’d had 200 pages read. Tonight, I finished it. And it was unbelievable. I loved every minute.

I almost regret that it took me so long to read this. But I, like several others, just didn’t know how to react when I heard Lisa Kleypas was writing a contemporary. But being a Kleypas fan, I wanted to love it. So, I got the hardback from the library last year ~ 3 times and never ended up reading it. And then when it came out in paperback, I snatched it up right away ~ and just now got around to reading it. Almost makes me regret waiting so long. Excellent books don’t come around that often.

***POTENTIAL SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK***

Sugar Daddy was amazing. I loved Liberty, her openness, her capacity for love, her tenaciousness when it comes to taking care of her family. I enjoyed her friendship with Hardy and I could completely relate to how her heart broke when he left. When she left Welcome to go to Houston she blossomed. And her paternal-like friendship with Churchill Travis was wonderful ~ especially for a girl who’d never known a father, I especially enjoyed this part of the story.

Gage ~ well, I pretty much figured out who Gage was the minute he and Liberty were introduced. I enjoyed the passion of their relationship ~ and how deep they seemed to connect. And just when I was getting giddy at the prospect of their future together, Hardy makes a reappearance.

Verdict: This was Excellent. I enjoyed the whole story and literally could not put it down. I’d definitely recommend it and cannot wait to read Blue Eyed Devil.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


7 Comments:


  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger Rosie

    Dev, I enjoyed this one two. I like family saga sorts of stories and really enjoyed following Liberty growing up.

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger Kristie (J)

    Everything you say *g*
    Like you I had this one for a while before I actually started reading it and when I did, I wondered why I'd taken so long!! And I could really relate to her heartbreak when Hardy left.
    And though part of me was routing for her to pick Hardy, I'm so glad she choose who she did.

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Stacy~

    I was so nervous about reading this book, afraid of Julie Garwood syndrome, but I shoulda known better. Lisa did a wonderful job with Liberty and I loved this book. It worked out perfectly.

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Isabel

    Oh it is out in paperback? I'll have to look for it. Great review! :)

     
  • At 12:09 AM, Blogger ReneeW

    Oh, I agree 100%. Wasn't it wonderful? I have Blue Eyed Devil but haven't cracked it open yet (still kinda pissed at Hardy) but everyone is raving about that one too so I must get busy reading it.

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger Kati

    Sugar Daddy was my favorite read of 2007. So far, Blue Eyed Devil is my favorite read of 2008. I'd be hard pressed to speculate on a book that could knock it out of the running.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I love me some Gage Travis, and even though the book isn't about him, I fell a little harder when he shows back up in Blue Eyed Devil.

    Here's hoping Lisa will write about Jack Travis next. :wink:

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Carolyn Crane

    Wow, I cannot wait to read this one.