Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, February 24, 2008,6:28 PM
Love You to Death by Melissa Senate
Just Finished:


Synopsis: WHEN DID ABBY FOOTE'S LIFE BECOME AN EPISODE OF LAW & ORDER?

First, a former boyfriend (who dumped Abby in the most humiliating way imaginable) is found murdered the day his engagement is announced.
Then two other ex-boyfriends report attempts made on their lives right after breaking up with her. Coincidence? Detective Benjamin Orr, of the Portland Police Department (and Very Probing Questions and Incredibly Delicious Face), doesn't think so. Neither do Abby's friends, family, coworkers and other exes–who are suddenly shaking in their shoes.

Soon enough, everyone is sucking up to her as though the Abby they know and supposedly love to death is capable of poisoning their drinks….

Is someone trying to frame her? Who? And why? She has to find out fast. Because by-the-book Ben is bound to break her heart. Which makes him next on someone's list.


My Thoughts: This was a cute story. It’s a great way to spend the weekend ~ it’s not deep, it just is what it is. I enjoyed the character of Abby. I love that she’s sarcastic and tends to say things first and then regrets them later. And I love the fact that she has date a long list of losers ~ all of whom seem to be coming out of the woodwork to apologize now that she is a suspected murderess.

I also really enjoyed Ben. I love stories that involve unrequited crushes/love/etc., etc. Ben Orr was “the one” for Abby in high school. And now, he’s the lead detective on her case, investigating her for at least one murder and 2 assaults on prior boyfriends. Trouble is, Ben doesn’t remember Abby from high school. He only knows her as the primary suspect in a murder investigation.

This is a fun and entertaining story. I’ve never read Melissa Senate before, but am definitely interested in reading more from her again. And, evidently there is supposed to be another Abby Foote novel coming out soon. I can’t wait to read it.

Verdict: This was Very Good. I enjoyed the story from beginning to end and will definitely read more Melissa Senate in the future.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger nath

    Interesting. I've never heard of her, but I'm adding it to my list :D Do Abby and Ben get together in the end of the first novel or is it a romance to be continued?

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Rosie

    Every once in a while I go trolling through my TBR for something just like this...light, entertaining, contemporary. I've never read her either, but made a note to look for this book.

     
  • At 1:26 AM, Blogger Paula

    Sounds like a good Beach read for this coming summer? You mentioned the Portland Police Dept. Is it set in Portland, Oregon?

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ Do you really think I'm going to tell you the ending? :-)

    Rosie ~ I enjoyed it. I usually don't read a lot of chick lit, but I'm so glad my friend recommended this one.

    Paula ~ Portland, ME is where this one takes place. And it'd probably be perfect for a beach read. It's just light and entertaining.