Life is too short to read a bad book.
Monday, January 14, 2008,8:52 PM
Sundial by Carrie Lofty
Just Finished:


Synopsis: Amber Schulman stepped into a lush English garden in 2007, only to arrive in breathtaking Sorrento, Italy--in 1958. The only person who understands her confusion is fellow time traveler Mark Lacey, a New Yorker who comes from the land of cassette tapes and Reaganomics. His dark, world-weary eyes beckon her with secrets and sensuality. But why does he seem familiar?

Trapped in the past since he was a teen, Mark wants nothing to do with another whining newcomer. But the blue-eyed Aussie might be able to answer the one question that haunts him: Do I ever get back to 1987? From soccer to samba to sex, Amber tempts him with a zeal for life and love, pulling him free of his lonely isolation.

But getting home may prove easier than they imagined. How will their love endure if Amber returns to her time--and Mark to his?


My Thoughts: Sundial is a short story ~ barely 60 pages, but it’s worth the time to read. Yes, it’s a bit choppy which is to be expected in a short story ~ so I can easily forgive that.

Immediately, there is antagonism between Mark and Amber ~ more on Mark’s part than Amber’s, of course. Mark has been stuck in a time that is not his own for over 4 years and he’s tired of people coming in and out of his life. And a bit jealous. Everybody else seems to be able to go back home from this place except him. So he’s bitter. Then there’s also the fact that he’s immediately attracted to Amber and that just adds fuel to the fire.

Despite their frosty beginning, Mark reluctantly befriends Amber and their relationship quickly blossoms. And believe me when I say there is a lot passion in these few pages. However, less than a year later they are separated. Are they reunited? I guess you’ll just have to read it yourself to find out. You can pick it up for $3.00 here.

Verdict: This was Good. This was my first read by Carrie Lofty and if her other works are anything like this one, she’s snagged a new fan. I look forward to reading more from her in the future.

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At 5:32 AM, Blogger nath

    pssst, Dev... can you spoil me the ending? it's no fair, you really left us hanging!

     
  • At 6:36 AM, Blogger Carrie Lofty

    Aw, but the ending's the best part! Thanks for the kind words, Dev. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

     
  • At 8:07 AM, Blogger Isabel

    That's so wrong to leave us hanging Dev.

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Dev

    Nath ~ Sorry :-) No, not really. I want others to read it.

    Carrie ~ You're welcome. And I agree about the ending.

    Izzy ~ Sorry :-)

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    That sounds like a fun read. I'll have to check it out.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Stacy~

    Dev, don't do this to me - my TBR pile cannot take it anymore.

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger Dev

    Amanda ~ It really is a good short story. If you read it, I'll look forward to seeing what you thought about it.

    Stacy ~ Sorry :-)

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Paula

    OH, I haven't read a good time travel in a long time. Sounds like a fun one...

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger Dev

    Paula ~ It's a good, quick short story. I hope you enjoy it :-)