Life is too short to read a bad book.
Sunday, December 30, 2007,11:24 PM
Promises Prevail by Sarah McCarty
Just Finished:

Synopsis: Wyoming Territory 1870:

Jenna never planned on getting married again, not only because her first husband had been a brutal monster, but because no man would want a crippled barren woman, but when fate sends her a helpless little baby to love, Jenna vows to do whatever she needs to in order to keep her daughter, even marrying Clint McKinnley. Big, dark and simmering with a deadly intensity, the exotically handsome ex marshal could put fear into the devil. He certainly strikes fear into her, but though she accepts his offer of marriage in the same practical vein it's made, Jenna soon discovers the man behind the reputation is a man like no other. A man to whom a woman could trust her heart.

Clint McKinnley is a man made hard by life, burned out by the choices he's made, looking for a reason to go on. He finds one in Jenna Hennessy. Lushly plump, sweet and shy, innocent in ways that have nothing to do with inexperience, she calls to him on the deepest levels. Still, he never would have touched her except for the vagaries of fate. When the town fathers threaten to take away the daughter she loves, Clint steps forward. While he can't offer Jenna love, he can offer her a home in which to raise the baby and the child the protection that comes with being a McKinnley. Having Jenna and Brianna in his home brings Clint a peace and satisfaction he's never known before, but even as he ferrets out the secrets that haunt Jenna's nightmares, Clint keeps his own close to his chest, knowing this is temporary, because even though Jenna is a woman with an incredibly generous heart, there are just some sins a woman can't be expected to forgive.

My Thoughts: My heart immediately went out to Jenna. She’s quite a heroine. She’d been victimized in the past, but still she was determined in her quest to be independent. Then there’s the strong, quiet way that Clint watches over her, and this was before they ever got together. I loved that too.

I really enjoyed seeing a reunion of the ladies of W.O.M.B. (Women Overcoming Male Bullheadedness) again ~ Pearl, Dorothy, Millie, Elizabeth, and Mara. It reminded me a lot of the first time I saw them in Promises Keep. They’re good for a laugh and it’s so fitting that the Rev is involved in their escapades. ~ And speaking of Rev, I was so excited to see a new part of his personality in PP.

What I didn’t like was Clint saying he was going to beat Jenna. This was a woman who was beaten and whipped by her former husband ~ his even teasing about it left a bad taste in my mouth. I know he was joking, but it wasn’t funny.

But, when he finally confessed his love to Jenna I forgave him ~ not for what he said, but the way he said it. He made a genuine romantic gesture and Jenna is definitely a heroine that needed one. In the end, I got my HEA and another satisfying read by Ms. McCarty.

Verdict: This was Good. Now I just have to wait until October to read the next in the series ~ Rev’s story.

Labels: , , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger lisabea

    Dev~ I'm reading this right now. I'm hoping to finish it up in the next day or so, depending on kids, life and holiday clean up. I love that Jenna. She's a real heartbreaker.

    Happy New Year!!!!

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger Holly

    Dev,
    I disagree about Clint saying he was going to beat Jenna. I think that was a major part of the story, because though Clint threatened, he never would have. Watching Jenna come to trust him and learn that though he threatened he'd never hurt her was amazing. The first time he said he was going to beat her, my jaw dropped. But then I remembered that at that point he didn't know the depth of her abuse...and once he realized it, telling Jenna he was going to beat her was his way of brining her around, of showing her he could be trusted.

    And I cried the first time Jenna laughed at him over it. Because that was such a profound moment in her recovery.

    JMHO. :)

    I felt the same way about the rest of the story, though. :)

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger Rosie

    You know that whole beating thing didn't affect me the same way at all. I think Sarah did an amazing job of helping these two people find their way to each other.

    Even someone who is as outwardly strong as Clint appears can be just as scared and vulnerable when it comes to love. I love that about this story.

    It's my fave PROMISE book...can you tell? :)

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Dev

    Lisabea ~ I can't wait to see what you thought of it. :-)

    Holly ~ I can see that. I just hadn't looked at it that way. I hope it didn't sound like I didn't like the story, because I did.

    Rosie ~ Yes, I can tell :-)

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Holly

    Nope,didn't sound that way at all. I just like arguing over small stuff. LOL

    :)

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Blogger Dev

    Holly ~ Well, we all need a hobby.