Life is too short to read a bad book.
Friday, December 29, 2006,9:45 PM
The Pleasure Slave
Just Finished:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Why I Read It: The story sounded like something I’d enjoy ~ a little reminiscent of SK’s Fantasy Lover. Plus I hadn’t read a Gena Showalter before and always like to try new-to-me authors.

From the Back Cover: When Santa Fe antique dealer Julie Anderson was curiously drawn to purchase a battered jewelry box, she never expected it to contain her own personal love slave. Especially not tall, dark and sinfully handsome Tristan-a man hard to resist, and determined to fulfill her every desire.

Though Tristan was a rogue of the battlefield and the boudoir, making love with Julia was like nothing he'd ever known. Yet revealing his true heart would break the centuries-old spell and separate them forever. And Tristan would do anything to go on loving Julia. . .even remain a slave through all eternity. . .


My Thoughts: The minute I started reading this story, I got sucked in. Tristan, proud warrior from another planet, was the unfortunate object of affection for Zirra, a Druin. Because Tristan did not return her affections, she did the worst possible thing she could do to warrior ~ turn him into a slave. But her intention was to keep him as her personal sex slave, which did not happen. Once it was discovered what Zirra did, the box that now contained Tristan was thrown into space and he became a slave for thousands of years.

In present day Santa Fe, NM, Julia Anderson is at an antique show when she is drawn to a small box. The box is old and the jewels have all come off of it ~ so for an antique dealer like Julia, the flaws should have been enough for her to stay away from it. But, instead, she buys it at an inflated price due to a bidding war with her competitor. Once she gets the box home and opens it, the fun starts.

Tristan seems to push all of Julia’s buttons from the minute he appears from the box. He teases her ~ which was fun and a lot of times humorous, but on the flip side I found it a little odd since he was supposed to be her slave.

Julia has issues ~ namely self-esteem issues that date back to one unfortunate incident in high school (which, when I read about it ~ I almost felt like I was reading about “Never Been Kissed”). This incident has scarred her enough to where she doesn’t date, and doesn’t know how to act with men. She decides to ask Tristan to help her ~ to teach her how to date men, namely her neighbor Peter. Of course, while Tristan is teaching her about seduction he is secretly (or not so secretly) trying to seduce her.

I liked this story. I thought it was fun and had a lot of great moments. I’d say this is a Good read and I definitely want to read more Gena Showalter in the future.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At 6:59 PM, Blogger Stacy~

    Devonna! Missed ya - hope you had a nice Christmas.

    I have a few GS books in my tbr pile, and I really enjoyed "Animal Instincts", which is a funny and sexy read. I'll have to look into getting this one.

    Right now I'm reading Janice Maynard's "Play With Me" - it's a good read, too.

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Dev

    Hi Stacy! Missed ya, too. You'd think I'd been gone somewhere ~ but, nope, I've just been lazy and lounging around the house. Which has been fun. Unfortunately, I'm just starting to get my reading mojo back, so I didn't get much read in the past week :-( I looked up Janice's book ~ it looks interesting. Three friends trying to seduce their fantasy lover before their 30th birthday (does that sound right?) Sounds like something I'd probably like.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Isabel

    Hi! This looks good. I just added it to my list of books to look for.

    Missed ya!

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Dev

    Izzy ~ Thanks :-) I hope you like it ~ I really enjoyed Tristan, he's quite a character.

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Rowena

    Ooh this looks really good, thanks for the heads up on this one, I probably would have glazed over it since I'm scared of trying new authors.

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger Dev

    Dylan ~ I liked this one, so hopefully you will too. I thought it was a lot of fun.

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger reviewer

    This is one of my favourites. Actually, the whole series is awesome!!
    The books in order are..
    The stone price
    The pleasure slave
    Heart of the dragon
    Jewel of Atlantis
    The nymph king (out next month)

    Gena Showlaters is one of my auto by authors.

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger reviewer

    Of course I mean 'auto buy', lol

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger Dev

    Chantal ~ I have Heart of the Dragon and have the others all on my wishlist. Hopefully, I can get them soon. I really like the way Gena writes.