Life is too short to read a bad book.
Friday, May 30, 2008,7:10 PM
Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas
Just Finished:


Synopsis: MEET THE BLUE-EYED DEVIL

His name is Hardy Cates. He's a self-made millionaire who comes from the wrong side of the tracks. He's made enemies in the rough-and-tumble ride to the top of Houston's oil industry. He's got hot blood in his veins. And vengeance on his mind.

MEET THE HEIRESS

She's Haven Travis. Despite her family's money, she refuses to set out on the path they've chosen for her. But when Haven marries a man her family disapproves of, her life is set on a new and dangerous course. Two years later, Haven comes home, determined to guard her heart. And Hardy Cates, a family enemy, is the last person she needs darkening her door or setting her soul on fire.

WATCH THE SPARKS FLY. . . .

Filled with Lisa Kleypas's trademark sensuality, filled with characters you love to hate and men you love to love, Blue-Eyed Devil will hold you captive in its storytelling power as the destiny of two people unfolds with every magical word.


My Thoughts: First. Thank you so much, Rosie, for mailing this to me so I could have it to read on vacation. After finishing Sugar Daddy so quickly, I could not wait to get my hands on this one to read. And just like Sugar Daddy, this one did not disappoint.

There was a spark the minute Haven and Hardy met. I felt it. And at that moment, I was glad (again) that Liberty and Gage ended up together.

It was interesting to see the family dynamic of the Travis’ through Haven’s eyes. Having experience it from Liberty’s point of view in Sugar Daddy, it was great to get a different viewpoint. I also found it interesting that Churchill, who was like a surrogate father to Liberty, is standoffish with his own daughter. Although I’m not a huge fan of first-person narratives, that is a plus in their favor. You really do get to experience the full viewpoint of the main character.

The abuse storyline, at least for me, was very true-to-life. I think LK put in a lot of time researching this and Nick was a great example of a narcissistic abuser. I’ve read a few reviews out there of people who didn’t think the abuse line was very realistic. I disagree. Abusers are sneaky and they take everything in baby steps, just like Nick did. Slowly, you find yourself losing little pieces of yourself until one day the person you were is gone. This doesn’t happen overnight ~ it happens overtime, so that even the strongest of us don’t even really realize what’s happening until it’s happened. Bravo to LK for realistically telling this part of the story. Abuse isn’t pretty and I believe LK did a fantastic job with this area of the storyline.

I also enjoyed watching Haven rediscover herself once she returned home. She had chanced, and thankfully Gage and Liberty both gave her the space and the time that she needed in order to heal. Watching her learn to reconnect, to trust, and to just live again was an incredible journey, and just an awesome reading experience for me.

I also enjoyed how Hardy reentered Haven’s life. The highpoint for me? The elevator scene. That’s when it all seemed to fall into place for Haven and Hardy. From that point on, it seemed that Hardy was on a mission to have Haven and nothing was going to deter him. I loved that. I loved his determination to win her over, and in the end I loved that he did. I also loved that he redeemed himself ~ I loved his conversation with Churchill. Let’s face it. Look at the number of times I’ve used the “word” love in this paragraph alone. I loved the whole blasted thing.

Verdict: This was Excellent. I enjoyed the whole story and literally could not put it down. This was definitely a great sequel to Sugar Daddy, and I’m hoping that we get another Travis’story soon!!!.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Dev | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Isabel

    I still need to read Sugar Daddy. I need to get with it.

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger ReneeW

    Oh, me too, me too, Dev. Wonderful book and I wasn't expecting to like Hardy. But I should have trusted Kleypas to redeem him. I will be buying this when it comes out in PB (I read the HB copy from the library).

     
  • At 7:30 AM, Blogger Dev

    Izzy ~ Yes you do!! You won't be sorry ~ I promise :-)

    Renee ~ I'll be buying it when it comes out in PB too. I would have gotten it from the library, but I was forever down in the queue so Rosie mailed me her copy.